A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Did you want your next Audi to be built in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you want your next Audi to be built in Mexico?

I've had a mexican Jetta fall apart on me. It was one of the reasons I pony'd up for a German Audi built by literate and failry paid workers. I'll never buy a Mexican made Audi. I suggest if you feel the same, then write a nastygram to AoA and tell them to stuff it. I view this as one more great insult to the Audi customer base; VW's can be profitably built in the US, but higher profit margin Audi's will be built in Mexico for even greater profit. Audi needs to do the right thing here and change course. Story here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/16/a...ely-in-mexico/

Audi will begin construction of a new manufacturing facility in North America, according to Ward's Auto. While the German luxury manufacturer hasn't chosen a specific location as of yet, early whispers hint to a location in Mexico. Previously, Audi parent company Volkswagen had investigated the possibility of producing Audi models alongside its Passat sedan at the automaker's new facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee, but that options now appears to be off the table. Instead, Audi could be headed south of the border thanks to Mexico's labor flexibility and lower wages.

Audi boss Johan de Nysschen has been quick to say no final decision has been made, though the executive wasted no time in listing the advantages of a Mexican facility while at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. The automaker has committed to a North American facility to protect its operations against currency fluctuations. According to de Nyscchen, the plant will need to have at least one vehicle line capable of producing 100,000 units to be economically viable. Last year, the company only moved 117,500 vehicles across all of its lines in the States. That means the facility would likely produce some vehicles for export, just as BMW does with its Spartanburg, South Carolina plant.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Although it may be possible to produce a well-made car in Mexico, I would have a hard time paying $50k for an Audi that es hecho en Mexico.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can build all the Q5s and Q7s they want there. I will never be in the market for either of those... It's always a sedan (or Avant) for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about if it was built in South Africa by some German ancestors?...would you buy it then?

The VW brand is a GLOBAL company,they have been building German Cars for years in Mexico.

Mexico has always had a great relationship with the Germans.Not only building cars.

Look it up sometime.No need for a History lesson now.

Would you buy a Bimmer built in South Carolina?
Would you buy a Honda built in Ohio?

If a company can reduce operating cost,transport cost, etcetera,they will do what is needed to be profitable.

AUDI would never allow workers anywhere to build an inferior product.

SEAT,is made or assembled in Spain,VW parts,SKODA is built in another European country,VW parts.

If you look at a lot of products made for assembly they come from other European countries.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you put on topics like this for other people to read.WE LIVE IN A GLOBAL MARKET.Its about quality!....I dont care who puts it together.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing!....I never read anything on your link.

Hey,how about Puerto Rico,Im sure they can build cars there.
They could reduce unemployment and crime at the same time.Then ship them to the mainland USA.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are those of us who bought an Audi SPECIFICALLY because it was made in Germany and NOT in Tennessee, Mexico or some other third world location.

Spare me the lectures on the "global economy"

I wouldn't buy a taco made in Mexico, much less a car
Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a VW made in Puebla and if fell apart on me.

I also find it grating that VW can sell me a $30k VW made in Germany or the US, but I have to pay $50 for a car built by $7/hr labor in Mexico? You'll pardon me if my desire to contribute so much to Audi's bottom line has a finite limit.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Other than for a few spot wields, car manufacturing is virtually 100% robotic. So if it's German robots operated by Mexican workers, does that make it a poorly built car?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
r0n
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
Other than for a few spot wields, car manufacturing is virtually 100% robotic. So if it's German robots operated by Mexican workers, does that make it a poorly built car?
+1 on this. Also the company will have more money to invest into more technology.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
Go watch the A4 assembly video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQ_M2NLI4I
and then we can debate how many things can go wrong - details misaligned, bolts lose or missing, cables kinked, etc. And who do you think maintains the robots?

Quick Reply: Did you want your next Audi to be built in Mexico?