A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Digital speed in A4 Premium (VAGCOM enabled computer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital speed in A4 Premium (VAGCOM enabled computer)

I used a VAGCOM to enable the trip computer function in the (computerless) Premium 2009 A4. I can access most of the functions, except the digital speedo. All I can get is trip average speed. I'm used to a digital speed readout from my 911 so would love to get it working especially with this hard-to-read 180mph speedo. What am I missing, or is the functionality missing unless you have a real computer with the buttons on the stalk?

Also, with the VAGCOM hack, what's the best way to select between computer 1 and computer 2?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That would be nice to have. In order to get digital speed I am my ScanGuage. I like it because it shows horsepower, engine temp, gas mileage, gallons used on a trip, real time MPG, trip MPG, tank MPG, air temperature coming in via IAT, throttle body position sensor reading and more. I bought it a long time ago. I forgot where I bought it. I either got it from the ScanGuage site or from eBay. I bought it around 2007 or 2008. Every time I change cars I bring it from car to car. I just wish I had a place I could mount it permanently in my A4. I hate having the wire running all over the place. Some cars you can put a rectangular hole in the dash and mount it so it looks nice.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NikosF
What am I missing, or is the functionality missing unless you have a real computer with the buttons on the stalk?
I found the first hack for this via VAGCOMM yrs back and never could enable it. I went ahead and swapped the stalks and now it all works on my P-.

You need to have the mechanical toggle button on the bottom of the stalk to get to the digital speedo. Software alone wont get you there... That button jumps you through: Comp 1 (single trip) / Comp 2 (all time stats) / Digital Speedo.

Please report back if you get it worked out.

Good luck
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
I found the first hack for this via VAGCOMM yrs back and never could enable it. I went ahead and swapped the stalks and now it all works on my P-.

You need to have the mechanical toggle button on the bottom of the stalk to get to the digital speedo. Software alone wont get you there... That button jumps you through: Comp 1 (single trip) / Comp 2 (all time stats) / Digital Speedo.

Please report back if you get it worked out.

Good luck
Where did you purchase the stalk?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Along with the "Lighting/Style Package" and the "Convenience Package", Audi should also offer buyers of the Premium A4 the "features-that-used-to-be-standard" package . It would include the trip computer and folding rear back seats. Oh, and it should also make the Sports Package available again on the Premium trim.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NikosF
I used a VAGCOM to enable the trip computer function in the (computerless) Premium 2009 A4. I can access most of the functions, except the digital speedo. All I can get is trip average speed. I'm used to a digital speed readout from my 911 so would love to get it working especially with this hard-to-read 180mph speedo. What am I missing, or is the functionality missing unless you have a real computer with the buttons on the stalk?

Also, with the VAGCOM hack, what's the best way to select between computer 1 and computer 2?
How did you enable the Trip computer?