A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anyone feel that the B8 A4 is too big for them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone feel that the B8 A4 is too big for them?

I'll be making the upgrade from a MKIV Jetta. Everytime I stand next to the new A4, I feel as though it is massive. Now, I know this is probably only because I've only ever driven smaller cars like my Jetta.

This car is really just for me, but I like the flexibility of having a large trunk, as well as decent room for passengers, even though I will only need that extra room at most 5% of the time. At the same time, I feel really comfortable in a small cabin... for some reason, I feel as though it's a more intimate driving experience. I have a friend with a 535 and he says sometimes he wishes his car wasn't so "bulky". He commented that he feels this more when booting around the city vs. when he gets to open it up on a highway.

Does anyone feel as though their car is too big for them sometimes, or has anyone also made the transition from a small car to a larger one?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if the car handles well (which the B8 does), the larger size is not a negative.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's the ideal size....

I went from a B7 to a B8 and the salesman kept telling me how the B8 is pretty much an A6 in size but it definitely doesn't feel that big. I always thought my B7 was the perfect size - my rear passengers always complained though - so this is a minor improvement for them but it feels the same to me.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Yes

Though the data indicates it does not translate to poorer performance.

Have not seen Nuremberg data yet
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Interesting how the answer to this is based on previous experience...

I was all set to buy an A6 to replace my old C5 A6. I wasn't going to consider an A4 until the "larger" B8 was announced and I finally got to drive one. My desire was not to go to a "smaller" Audi but the handling and responsiveness of the A4 was so superior to the latest A6, I changed my mind and went with it.

Bottom line, the A4 is almost as big in the front seat, larger trunk with 1.5" less rear seat leg room but is definitely designed as a Sport sedan vs the A6 which I classify as a Touring sedan. The B8 handles like a "smaller" car to me.

Based on the many reports of superior performance compared to the B7, it appears for those folks transitioning to the B8, the larger size is not a disadvantage. For those of us transitioning from a bigger car like the A6, performance is an advantage without sacrificing too much space (or comfort for that matter).
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Yes.

I always thought the B5 was the ideal size car. I also prefer a car the size of the BMW 3 series. But like anything else, I guess I'll get used to the new B8's size.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For those looking for smaller, rumor is next gen A3 will come in sedan form as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nuremberg? Or did you mean Nurburgring?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Are Audi execs being put on trial for war crimes? Wow.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just the right size, IMO

At first, I had to get used to the increases size from my C230 coupe, but now I'm used to it. There's plenty of room for passengers without having to worry about moving the front seats forward to accomodate them and the trunk is large enough to fit several large briefcases full of cash.

Quick Reply: Does anyone feel that the B8 A4 is too big for them?