A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Drive Select VS. Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Select VS. Sport Package

My dealership has yet to get an A4 with a Sport Suspension w/o Drive Select. I've driven a car with the standard suspension and drive select.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these two? I plan to get a manual transmission so I'll be "missing out" on the benefits of Drive Select's influence on shift points. I do really like the feeling of the steering in Dynamic mode but I'm thinking I could probably live without this $3k option. Does anyone else feel that the sport suspension is probably good enough and will be easier to maintain in the future?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NB - Drive Select really is its own suspension type as well...

Drive Select cars come with the same springs as the sport suspension cars but the dampers are different from both the sport and regular suspension setups on cars without Drive Select.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drive Select is not worth it, IMO...

I ordered my car without ADS and have driven one with it at the A4 Experience. I can not imagine wanting to drive the car in any setting other than "Dynamic" because I prefer a firmer suspension and more responsive throttle. I feel the S Line suspension (coilovers coming soon) and Sport mode (or paddle shifting) gives me just what I want for less, and looks a hell of a lot better! As for the adjustable steering ratio, my car already seems to have a dynamic steering ratio that works perfectly and I didn't notice a difference compared to the ADS equipped A4.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Depends......

We already have a poster who's looking to replace his sport suspension with a stock one cause it's too firm for the wife. I'd say that right there would be worth $3k for ADS depending on how often your significant other drives your car.

For me, I really liked it. Seems like you get at least 2 different cars for the price of one. So I ordered it. I can see cruising down the highway in comfort mode when we go visit relatives (450+ miles). I don't want my teeth rattled out of my head driving on Illinois, Indiana and Ohio roads with sports suspension. But I don't want that cushy feeling for normal driving.

K.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default did you order drive select along with the sport suspension?

If you did, do you find that comfort mode matched with the stiff suspension makes for a more acceptable ride for your sig other, or other passengers?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If you get ADS, then no need for sport package?

Considering driving performance ONLY, and excluding the tire difference, is there anything else in the sport package that you would need if you already are getting ADS (which, I learn from this thread, already includes the sport suspensions even though that's not listed by Audi)?

Unless I missed anything, except for the tires, the only other things you get from the sports package don't affect handling in any way: bucket seats and steering wheel.

Correct?