A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Driving in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in the rain...

So many posts on forums tend to be reporting concerns or problems. I just drove my 2010 A4 Quattro on the x-pressway in a hard rain. What a pleasure! The car really stayed glued to the road. I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles in the winter.

-- plA4keeps
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
So many posts on forums tend to be reporting concerns or problems. I just drove my 2010 A4 Quattro on the x-pressway in a hard rain. What a pleasure! The car really stayed glued to the road. I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles in the winter.

-- plA4keeps
I know the feeling.. I am actually looking forward to the first snow fall this year
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also love my car in the rain. Last week in the storms here in Atlanta it was great and I could still accelerate hard in the rain. Really felt confident compared to my old BMW.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One serious deficiency I noticed (for rainy driving) is the weak wiper motor (or insufficient wiper speeds). There really should be one additional (faster) speed than the pretty pathetic maximum wiper speed available from the stalk. The first time I set it to max, I thought it was broken. But it's the same in the TT, A3, A4, etc. Never had this problem on BMWs (they have a really fast maximum wiper speed that can keep up with heavy downpours at reasonable speeds). I was also driving around in Atlanta's "Flood of 2009" downpour and the poor Audi wipers at max speed couldn't keep up at stop and go traffic speeds, but no car's wipers could keep up with that kind of rain. But I do have to slow down to a crawl in normal rainfall because the wipers can't clear the windshields fast enough, even though it's safe enough to be driving faster. I'm not talking about 100 MPH in a storm, I just mean cruising at 50 MPH in a heavy rain.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

RAIN X! You can't live without it in Floridaduring summer, but im with you the wiper speed is too slow.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I don't have to ever adjust my driving habits according to rain or shine. The other week I was comfortably going 90 on the highway in a storm.

I will agree that the wiper speed is a little slow. I got stuck next to an 18 wheeler during a downpour and was practically driving blind between the heavy rain and the spray from the truck.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in my dealers parts department yesterday picking up something i had ordered and saw this "Kit" that Audi put together to help the wipers, sort of like rain-x. I forget exactly what they branded it as, but it was an Audi product, comprised of two pouches... one had a wet cloth with some sort of solution that you apply to your wipers and the other one had a dry cloth that "sealed" it. The product description claimed to increase visibility, reduce streaks, chatter and improve efficiency of the wipers. Although it was only $3 i did not pick it up... maybe i should have, but i think this proves that Audi knows they put wimpy motors for our wipers.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Yeah, I don't have to ever adjust my driving habits according to rain or shine. The other week I was comfortably going 90 on the highway in a storm.
Well, at 90mph, you don't really need the wipers anymore
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love driving in the rain. Cause everybody else is being extra careful. And there's a certain safe feeling about it. Might be cause radars and laser don't work as well, neither does police eyes.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astaikos10
I was in my dealers parts department yesterday picking up something i had ordered and saw this "Kit" that Audi put together to help the wipers, sort of like rain-x. I forget exactly what they branded it as, but it was an Audi product, comprised of two pouches... one had a wet cloth with some sort of solution that you apply to your wipers and the other one had a dry cloth that "sealed" it. The product description claimed to increase visibility, reduce streaks, chatter and improve efficiency of the wipers. Although it was only $3 i did not pick it up... maybe i should have, but i think this proves that Audi knows they put wimpy motors for our wipers.
Repackaged Rain-X?

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain...