A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dual Climate control does not = Dual Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Climate control does not = Dual Fan?

So, I find it odd that the climate control is only applicable to temperature, but not the fan control. Am I missing something, or is that the way it is? I would expect that a dual climate system would allow you to control the amount of fan separate for driver and passenger.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My Prestige with automatic climate control has separate controls for L/R fan speed as well as temp. Not sure if this is only found on Prestige though.
My Prem+ has controls for fan speed on both left/right positions, but the fan speed changed by either one of these is then shown in the other.

If you use the drivers side controls to set fan to "4" and then use the passenger side controls to set fan speed to "5" if you then go back to the drivers side and click on the fan button it still reads "4"?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe I have played with this enough. The passenger and I both have the fan controls open, when she moves her's, mine moves as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
My Prem+ has controls for fan speed on both left/right positions, but the fan speed changed by either one of these is then shown in the other.

If you use the drivers side controls to set fan to "4" and then use the passenger side controls to set fan speed to "5" if you then go back to the drivers side and click on the fan button it still reads "4"?
To answer your question, no.

If I change the fan speed on passenger side, it controls the fan speed on the drivers side.

Does anyone know if this is how it is meant to be?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, found an older thread on this. Looks like I am SOL.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...limate+control
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IBNew2A4
To answer your question, no.
That question was actually directed toward snagitseven... thought maybe prem+ vs. Prestige had a different feature set not called out in the "features" list.

His post looks to have disappeared though...
Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need_TQM
That question was actually directed toward snagitseven... thought maybe prem+ vs. Prestige had a different feature set not called out in the "features" list.

His post looks to have disappeared though...
My recollection from trying this the other day was passenger could independently set direction and temp, but fan speed was universal.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
My recollection from trying this the other day was passenger could independently set direction and temp, but fan speed was universal.
On the positive side, maybe it is a good thing not to have two fans to worry about burning out. OTOH, I would think they could vary the flow to each sdie even with one fan. The side calling for less air could have a kind of spill damper letting the unneeded airflow go out under the hood or somewhere. A control valve/flap/damper should be able to handle that and rely on a single fan while giving different flows at the point of use. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
On the positive side, maybe it is a good thing not to have two fans to worry about burning out. OTOH, I would think they could vary the flow to each sdie even with one fan. The side calling for less air could have a kind of spill damper letting the unneeded airflow go out under the hood or somewhere. A control valve/flap/damper should be able to handle that and rely on a single fan while giving different flows at the point of use. Anyway, my 2 cents.
But then we'd end up with a damper motor that could burn out..

There's already way too much electronic in that car. I'm not looking forward to having to replace that little fancy screen or the electronic control for the heated seat or temperature control..
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
But then we'd end up with a damper motor that could burn out..
No, no - I was suggesting having a nice little hamster in there who could move the damper - wouldn't take much to keep him fed and happy! Ooops! I forgot the poop factor!! Sorry - bad idea!

Quick Reply: Dual Climate control does not = Dual Fan?