A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dual Climate control does not = Dual Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by need_TQM
That question was actually directed toward snagitseven... thought maybe prem+ vs. Prestige had a different feature set not called out in the "features" list.

His post looks to have disappeared though...
Yah, I pulled my post after I read my manual more carefully. It clearly states that either fan control adjusts the other. Kinda dumb but they saved a few bucks by having only one fan motor I guess.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
On the positive side, maybe it is a good thing not to have two fans to worry about burning out. OTOH, I would think they could vary the flow to each sdie even with one fan. The side calling for less air could have a kind of spill damper letting the unneeded airflow go out under the hood or somewhere. A control valve/flap/damper should be able to handle that and rely on a single fan while giving different flows at the point of use. Anyway, my 2 cents.
I think it varies it quite well with the one fan. I was driving on the highway the other day with a mix of sun/cloud. The sun was strong on my right...I noticed that the right center vent was pouring out air while my center vent had very little! At first I thought this was strange and perhaps a fault but shortly after the clouds fully came and and the right side vent went back to normal. Seems the system with the sun sensor sensed the interior temp on the pass side being warmer than mine and adjusted to compensate but opening just that side of the car's dash vents.

IIRC the A8 and perhaps A6 have 2 fans. Yes this is kind of cool but considering most dual zone systems within the A4/A5 competitive range only allow temp to diff we have it well. I don't recall seeing any 3-series or 3 class allow the drive and passenger dial in direction of air without having to close vents.

Glass half full...