A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Electric Hand Brake Use in Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Hand Brake Use in Winter

Having grown up in Boston and living now in Northeast Ohio, I have always been cautious about engaging a mechanical hand brake in the winter, particularly after driving in wet/slushy conditions, out of concern that the brake would freeze in place (which has happened on occasion with the Saabs I used to drive). Is there anything different in the way that the electric hand brake works that would make it immune or at least less likely to freeze up?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Normally handbrakes freeze due to the cables/wires and since this doesn't have them then I'd assume it would be fine.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks -- makes sense. Seems consistent with this comment from the Audi Glossary (UK Edition):

The electromechanical parking brake has little in common with a conventional handbrake. It is resistant to wear, its braking effect is permanently constant and it cannot lock. The electromechanical parking brake is activated by pulling the small electric lever on the centre console, which replaces the conventional handbrake lever. The parking brake is released automatically when setting off. It does not have to be released manually even when performing a hill start. The integral starting assist function determines the selected gear, accelerator position, engine speed, torque, direction of travel and the vehicle's angle of inclination. This prevents the car from rolling back when the parking brake is released automatically.

The brake can only be released manually if the foot brake is depressed at the same time. In the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre via the parking brake, the vehicle can be braked considerably more effectively than with a conventional handbrake because in this case braking takes place via the normal service brake with the aid of the vehicle's electronic stabilization program (ESP) functions. All the benefits of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) are exploited.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kdonovan
In the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre via the parking brake, the vehicle can be braked considerably more effectively than with a conventional handbrake because in this case braking takes place via the normal service brake with the aid of the vehicle's electronic stabilization program (ESP) functions. All the benefits of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) are exploited.
Has anyone tried setting the parking brake while moving? Someone please go and do that and then report back here.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From a UK forum :

"Pull it and hold it for a couple of seconds, the brakes come on. Trust me. The skid marks are still there.!!

This was in my car. Scared the ... outta me."

"I dont think there is a speed limit as I was somewhere near 50. It was a scary but somwhat controlled stop.
It was also in the previous car (b8) after i knew i was getting a replacement. I wouldn't do it in my new car.
or rather.. "i aint doing that again unless constipated""

I pointed out what the manual said about it works at any speed (over 8 kmph) then :

"Well.... Thanks scotty. I guess I should of RTFM then I wouldn't of needed to have the discussion with my friend about whether or not pulling it while your going along does something.

Disclaimer: No body was injured during the process of this experiment but we certainly needed a pint and a poo afterwards."

hahahaha
Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
From a UK forum :

"Pull it and hold it for a couple of seconds, the brakes come on. Trust me. The skid marks are still there.!!

This was in my car. Scared the ... outta me."

"I dont think there is a speed limit as I was somewhere near 50. It was a scary but somwhat controlled stop.
It was also in the previous car (b8) after i knew i was getting a replacement. I wouldn't do it in my new car.
or rather.. "i aint doing that again unless constipated""

I pointed out what the manual said about it works at any speed (over 8 kmph) then :

"Well.... Thanks scotty. I guess I should of RTFM then I wouldn't of needed to have the discussion with my friend about whether or not pulling it while your going along does something.

Disclaimer: No body was injured during the process of this experiment but we certainly needed a pint and a poo afterwards."

hahahaha
Oh man that's funny!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The manual says that if you pull it at any speed over 8 kph, it puts the brakes in the "panic stop mode".

I tried to get it to release automatically in my drive way and it would not release, found out later by reading the manual that it would not release if you do not have your seat belt on !
Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

errrm you did an "panic stop" without wearing your seatbelt????

<gulp>
Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I was not trying to do a "panic stop", I was trying to get the brake to release automatically when driving off !
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't you get the message in the DIS telling you to press the foot brake in this situation?

Quick Reply: Electric Hand Brake Use in Winter