A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

EPC and CEL + power loss and shake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPC and CEL + power loss and shake.

car:2012 2.o tfsi 8speed quatro.build date11/11 900 miles.
We took delivery last week.Using shell v-pover only.
Today after 45 min drive,when pulling out from traffic light i see
EPC on and CEL flashing plus loss of power and shaking like missfireing .I pulled over shut it down and waited for 2 min.After starting and driving for 1/2mile same happened,so pulled over and called for audi road assistance.They towed it to my dealer.I,m going there in the morning to pickup loaner and see what they say.
I did some reading about epc,cel but all that seems to be from at least a year ago.No current problems?
What you think?ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I will keep you posted.
Bart
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Baudia4
car:2012 2.o tfsi 8speed quatro.build date11/11 900 miles.
We took delivery last week.Using shell v-pover only.
Today after 45 min drive,when pulling out from traffic light i see
EPC on and CEL flashing plus loss of power and shaking like missfireing .I pulled over shut it down and waited for 2 min.After starting and driving for 1/2mile same happened,so pulled over and called for audi road assistance.They towed it to my dealer.I,m going there in the morning to pickup loaner and see what they say.
I did some reading about epc,cel but all that seems to be from at least a year ago.No current problems?
What you think?ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I will keep you posted.
Bart
Symptoms mimic a faulty plastic intake manifold. I'm losing count now as to how many I've had replaced under warranty. Most people seem to go through at least one. Pretty well documented so there is not anything new to post with regards to this problem.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info.I hope that it will be one time story for me.Going to the dealer in 10 min.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer called this evening and told that there was a misfire and that they replaced one fuel injector.I will pick up the car tomorrow and find out exactly what was wrong.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So i finally had a chance to read my service ticket.This is what they did:

cylinder #1 misfire fuel injector mechanical malfunction.perform GFF swap #1 and #2 spark plug #1 and #3 coil pack,road test,misfire stays on #1.perform compression test 180 psi @all 4 cylinders.remove and inspect intake manifold.remove and replace fuel injector #1.rebuild remaining 3 injectors,road test ok.

Im no mechanic but i think that it is a lot of stuff going wrong on 900 miles car.Now car drives just fine but im a little afraid to step on gas pedal to hard.I guess i just put it in sport and step on it and see what happens next.
What are your thoughts guys ?
I definetly dont want to be affraid to drive my car a little hard.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baudia4
So i finally had a chance to read my service ticket.This is what they did:

cylinder #1 misfire fuel injector mechanical malfunction.perform GFF swap #1 and #2 spark plug #1 and #3 coil pack,road test,misfire stays on #1.perform compression test 180 psi @all 4 cylinders.remove and inspect intake manifold.remove and replace fuel injector #1.rebuild remaining 3 injectors,road test ok.

Im no mechanic but i think that it is a lot of stuff going wrong on 900 miles car.Now car drives just fine but im a little afraid to step on gas pedal to hard.I guess i just put it in sport and step on it and see what happens next.
What are your thoughts guys ?
I definetly dont want to be affraid to drive my car a little hard.
If your scared of the car, get rid of it. Seriously, every car can have an issue. Your car had a bad injector, simple as that.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds pretty minor overall. I'd consider it a hiccup.

You should not feel uncertain about your car. Go out and get on it (safely) until you feel confident that the problem is fixed. Babying it to avoid the problem will not help you find out whether the problem was fixed.

I'm sure it was but best to go give it a proper "test".
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Sounds pretty minor overall. I'd consider it a hiccup.

You should not feel uncertain about your car. Go out and get on it (safely) until you feel confident that the problem is fixed. Babying it to avoid the problem will not help you find out whether the problem was fixed.

I'm sure it was but best to go give it a proper "test".
I would agree. If you buy a car, use it, don't baby it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well here is the thing: i was "using"the car when problem emerged. So that is why i'm a little worried.I will "use " it again this sunday morning on a nice twisty road not far from my house,just to reassure myself that it was a good choice to buy it.
I really like this car a lot,and we plan to keep it for at least 5 years,so that "minor hiccup" at 900 miles got me worried.
My autox season starts in may so the car will be "tested"for sure.
Thanks for your replies.

Quick Reply: EPC and CEL + power loss and shake.