A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Exhaust tips for B8 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine actually has a little rust on it. . . shouldnt they be corrosion resistant? Car is only 2 weeks old and was delivered with the rust colored spots. Just didnt notice it til i washed it a few days ago.

Dealer trip maybe...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I'm talking about the condensation water that dribbles out of the exhaust and stains it. The tips are stainless so they don't corrode (or resist corroding), but the wet soot seems to cling more stubbornly than just the dry powdery soot.

I've detailed people's exhaust tips for over twenty years and what is causing the hard to remove staining is the heat generated from the pipe. When you add heat into the equation, it bakes in the condensation. (Driving in the rain is even worse). The only way around this is to clean the tips on a regular basis. Once a week is what I do and after four years, my tips are stain-free all around. I also keep a coat of wax on them, and that keeps things less stained. Or if you polish the tips out with chrome polish, the smoother, more slippery surface makes it easier to keep clean.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It seems a number of people of people in the UK have now raised this with their dealers. One dealer has said he keeps a good stock and that they believe the chrome tips are being removed prior to delivery at the dealers.

I think that's dealer B.S. but I'm trying to find out if Audi do have slip on ends that are suitable. As far as I understand at the moment, it's only for the non-S-lines which I think are smaller diameter.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't blame you for being disappointed. Even my 3.2 tips are a step down.

While my 3.2's exhaust tips are the closest to the B6/B7 versions that the B8 offers, they still are not nearly as nicely finished from the factory as the B6/B7.

I would call them "slightly polished" as opposed to "highly polished".

I went to work on them with some Nevrdull and chrome polish and they look much improved. From 2 feet away, they now look the same way my B7 tips looked when clean. But up close, you can tell they were never truly (what I would call) "polished" from the factory.

I'm not dissatisfied with them because I can make them look good.

Like you, I would be very dissatisfied with your's if I had been led to believe they'd be similar to the B7 tips because I don't see a way to make your's look good. (at least not without a different tip design and a welder)
Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I've detailed people's exhaust tips for over twenty years and what is causing the hard to remove staining is the heat generated from the pipe. When you add heat into the equation, it bakes in the condensation. (Driving in the rain is even worse). The only way around this is to clean the tips on a regular basis. Once a week is what I do and after four years, my tips are stain-free all around. I also keep a coat of wax on them, and that keeps things less stained. Or if you polish the tips out with chrome polish, the smoother, more slippery surface makes it easier to keep clean.
Thanks for the tips, I'll give your method a try.