A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

FMIC with ADS Available?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC with ADS Available?

Same question as the tittle says. I am looking for a FMIC that will work with ADS on a Audi A4 09. I have looked at A.W.E FMIC and a few others and seen that they are not able to install them with ADS as a option on my car. I already have APR ECU stage II installed with a A.W.E exaust and would love to have a FMIC installed next.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkownz
Same question as the tittle says. I am looking for a FMIC that will work with ADS on a Audi A4 09. I have looked at A.W.E FMIC and a few others and seen that they are not able to install them with ADS as a option on my car. I already have APR ECU stage II installed with a A.W.E exaust and would love to have a FMIC installed next.
My first question would by why on earth ADS would make any difference as to whether the FMIC could be mounted? I don't see any obvious reason.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

the people at A.W.E told me there is an extra modification necessary to work around it and they are working on it. im not 100% sure what it could be.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We should tell everyone what we are talking about. FMIC is not an experience in Iraq with Friendly Marines In Charge. It means Front Mounted Inter-Cooler.

This is a device that takes the compressed air from the exit of the turbocharger and using a heat exchanger reduces the temperature of the air. When air is compressed the molecules in the gas are forced closer together. When they are closer their are more collissions between molecules. The energy released from the bouncing around creates heat. The heat causes the molecules to move farther apart. The result for a given volume of air, like the amount drawn into a cylinder, there are less oxygen molecules for use in combustion.

The intercooler is mounted in the front to take advantage of the ram air coming in the front of the car to take the heat away from the compressed air. I am not sure why they make the exchanger from aluminum, because copper is much better at transferring heat. Perhaps it is a weight or structual problem.

The B8 comes with a FMIC, so why change it? I would think a properly designed "big boy" intercooler could reduce the air temperature by 40 degrees. This would put more oxygen at the disposal of the engine for each power stroke. More Hp, yipee! This assumes the fuel necessary in the proper ratio of fuel to air can be produced. Another factor is the ability of the bottom end of the engine to convert the power stroke into rotary motion without damage.

Why can't you just slap this on and shoot for the moon? First is fuel delivery. Audi engineers put very little head room in the fuel pump and injection system for much lower compressed air temperatures. Tuners will need to put a more powerful pump on the car and remap the pump and injection timing to get more gas into the cylinders.

The extra power developed and the lower intake temperature does not go unnoticed by the Audi Drive System. ADS is an option that dynamically changes the suspension, steering, transmission, and engine while you look out the window and work the pedals. ADS uses the data coming into the engine to "solve your problem" and the result is "open that wastegate, 'cause the pressure must be to high delivering all that oxygen."

One drawback of cooling the compressed air so much is that moisture in the air condenses in the intake and the water makes a corrosive mess of things.

While tuning is fun and makes your car your own, the prices are a bit steep for the goods delivered. Consider you can drop 10G's into tuning, and it will be worth zip, nada, nothing when you sell the car. A better choice would be to buy an RS version if you like to go fast, turn left (meaning track your car.)
Old 04-17-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

jkownz is correct; I believe the ADS-equipped cars have either a fluid reservoir or lines to/from this reservoir that obstruct the standard install. No one w/ an ADS-equipped A4 or A5 has visited AWE for test-fitting of an ADS-compatible FMIC kit AFAIK.

Aside from AWE, what other aftermarket FMIC units have you looked at?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FMIC with ADS Available?

Originally Posted by Moviela
We should tell everyone what we are talking about. FMIC is not an experience in Iraq with Friendly Marines In Charge. It means Front Mounted Inter-Cooler.
Thanks for thinking of us Moviela. Found your post very informative and appreciate you taking the time to expand on the OP. The Old Dog came away a little more enlightened .
Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One drawback of cooling the compressed air so much is that moisture in the air condenses in the intake and the water makes a corrosive mess of things.
Would this not also be an issue then in climates that are cold for most of the year? If we are assuming that all cold climates have very dry air, then intercooling in dry but hot regions should also be less prone to this issue.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
jkownz is correct; I believe the ADS-equipped cars have either a fluid reservoir or lines to/from this reservoir that obstruct the standard install.
I was not intending to cast doubt on whether or not ADS cars could fit the AWE FMIC, I just didn't know why they would not be able. Sorry if my post came across that way. Thanks for the knowledge tidbit.

What additional reservoir do the ADS cars have (or is it just something re-located)?

Moviela : you are saying that ADS cars have a different ECU than non-ADS cars and that a FMIC will affect them differently? Several people without ADS have been able to get the only real "engine" ADS feature that I know about by changing bits with vag-com : throttle sensitivity. There are others?

As for Al vs Cu - Probably cost. Al is about 1/3 the cost of copper. The size (thus amount of metal) is likely dictated more by the volume of air needed - in that case the superior (~60%) conductivity of copper wouldn't help enough to dictate it's expense.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

AWE told me that the problem with installing their FMIC on ADS-equipped cars is that ADS cars have a second oil cooler. This second oil cooler interferes with the installation of the FMIC.

I have no idea why ADS cars have a second oil cooler. Engine performance in ADS cars is identical to non-ADS. ADS can change throttle mapping, but this isn't anything you couldn't do by simply pressing down further on the accelerator of a non-ADS car.

AWE asked about using my car to design an ADS-compatible FMIC, but I'm about 1300 miles from their shop. Eventually, I'm sure someone nearby with an ADS-equipped car will let them have at it.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

... ADS uses the data coming into the engine to "solve your problem" and the result is "open that wastegate, 'cause the pressure must be to high delivering all that oxygen."
Not trying to be a jerk here, but do realize some of the statements made in your post are not 100% accurate. While I'm sure the explanations are appreciated by some, we should strive to be factual when breaking down how a particular system functions. You've got some of the ideas correct, but not all the facts straight on how it works. No big deal, just wanted some folks who might read this to be aware.

Quick Reply: FMIC with ADS Available?