A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
It's what the kids do to make their car's look more sporty. It's a ticketable offence in the UK.
Or you live in Boston where the roads are complete rubbish and you need the fog lights to dodge potholes on the side streets.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skip16
Or you live in Boston where the roads are complete rubbish and you need the fog lights to dodge potholes on the side streets.
Hmmmmm...nahhhhhh.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The fogs don't put out enough usable light on the ground to help with potholes. By the time the light from the fogs hits the holes, your car will hit them immediately after unless you're creeping along at walking speed.

I've tried it (and I live in the Boston area). Fog lights are good for fog. Any other use is just to aggravate oncoming drivers.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The fogs don't put out enough usable light on the ground to help with potholes. By the time the light from the fogs hits the holes, your car will hit them immediately after unless you're creeping along at walking speed.

I've tried it (and I live in the Boston area). Fog lights are good for fog. Any other use is just to aggravate oncoming drivers.
All I can say: works for me. I also turn fogs on crappy local roads and I can spot pot holes much better. This works for low speeds only, of course.

I find absolutely no use for fogs in other condition, regardless if it's foggy or not.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just ordered on Monday

They should arrive today. Ordered from www.hoen-usa.com

I went with H7 as shown in the list here:

http://www.hoen-usa.com/guide2.htm
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dk1
All I can say: works for me. I also turn fogs on crappy local roads and I can spot pot holes much better. This works for low speeds only, of course.
The roads are really bad lately with the economy the way it is. I use my regular beams to spot the holes, but then when it comes time to actually "thread the needle" in between them you need the fog lights.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

The roads are really bad lately with the economy the way it is. I use my regular beams to spot the holes, but then when it comes time to actually "thread the needle" in between them you need the fog lights.
I can definitely relate to that. As you drive from town to town you can actually see the road quality change dramatically. With regular beams you see that there is something in the road but you have no idea if it's just rough pavement or a hole to China. Those folks in Germany may have some strict rules about the when you can use which lights but I guess they have never seen roads like some in New York and New England.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Fog lights are for, er, "fog" -- in most places, running with the fog lights "on" when conditions do not dicate their use, is illegal. Audi, correctly, IMHO, does not want to make such a feature automatic for it could tend to get Audi drivers stopped and/or cited.

Not a way to build customer sat and loyalty, methinks.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

'tis here too.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wheelm211
They should arrive today. Ordered from www.hoen-usa.com

I went with H7 as shown in the list here:

http://www.hoen-usa.com/guide2.htm
I'm a little confused. In some forums I read the foglights use H11. But this webiste says H7. Which is the right one?

I have 2009 A4 Avant.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: fog lights