A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Foot cramps

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Foot cramps

My last car was the B5 A4 and I owned it for 11 years. I am 6'4" and in the B8 I can back up the seat further, so I took advantage of it, but for the last three months, I have been having foot cramps after driving the car.

Last week, I brought back the seat forward a little bit, so I would have the same driving position as when I was in my B5, but that did not help.

Still getting foot cramps in the new car, sometimes my foot even gets numb. I was thinking that maybe the muscle in my foot needs to get used to the new driving position of a new car, but after 3 months, I would have expected to get used to it by now.

Anynbody ever experienced something similar ???
Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, the last owner of my car had the same problem. His solution was to trade it for a Q5. I'm actually used to the driving position in the A4, my Mk5 Jetta GLI with the sports seats had a similar awkward driving position. Its hard to explain, but the positioning of the legs due to the angle of the seat causes the problem.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 240 Posts

Have you tried playing with the height adjustment for the front seat edge. Maybe it's pushing too much against the underside of your thighs and reducing blood flow to the foot.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
Have you tried playing with the height adjustment for the front seat edge. Maybe it's pushing too much against the underside of your thighs and reducing blood flow to the foot.
In fact it is adjusted as you mentioned (trying to give support to my long thighs !) Maybe it is causing more problem, I will try to lower the seat to see if it helps.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
this link may help

or this video
<cite>www.youtube.com/watch?v=f478InegqRw

</cite>
Car Seat AdjustmentThere are countless factors that can effect how we operate our cars and trucks, but one important consideration that often goes overlooked is our bodies' position in the driver's seat. To drive well and drive safely, we must not only be seated comfortably, but must also have our hands and feet correctly placed in relation to the steering wheels and pedals. To learn more, we talked to a police officer. Paul Braun has 13 years experience in the DeKalb County Police Department, including six years of training in police driving and pursuits and one year in commercial vehicle enforcement. Here he offers advice on positioning your car's driver's seat for maximum safety:
  • Always adjust before driving.
    Always make sure your seat is adjusted before you drive, especially if you share the car with another driver.
  • Always Slight bend in elbow.
    Sit in the driver's seat and put both hands on the steering wheel, at ten and two o'clock position. If you can keep a slight bend in your elbows, you should be the correct distance from the wheel. This space allows the airbag to function properly when deployed.
  • Always Bend in the knees.
    For proper foot position, you'll need to sit at a distance that allows a slight bend to your knee.
  • Always Keep right heel firmly planted.
    You want your right heel to be firmly planted on the floor. It should be in a position that lets you shift your toe back and forth between the gas pedal and the brake pedal without having to lift your whole foot. This placement gives you the best reaction time in an emergency situation.
  • Always Put the headrest at head-height.
    It's important for your headrest to be adjusted properly. While sitting in your seat, simply reach back and pull it up to a point where it's at the back of your head. Press your head against it and make sure it's in a logical place to support the head and help prevent neck injury in the event of a violent hit.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cruise control more?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chairlift
cruise control more?
Yes, this was my chiropractor solution, but I never had this problem in the past.

This past week-end I had to drive about 300 miles and used the cruise control as much as I could and today, I am almost limping, so there is problem !

I just hope it would go away, because I would like to keep this car as long as I kept the B5...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeking medical advice on a car enthusiast site. Never thought I'd see that.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Yes, this was my chiropractor solution, but I never had this problem in the past.

This past week-end I had to drive about 300 miles and used the cruise control as much as I could and today, I am almost limping, so there is problem !

I just hope it would go away, because I would like to keep this car as long as I kept the B5...
If the seats in virtually any car leave you limping, then the problem is likely medical and not with the seats.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
If the seats in virtually any car leave you limping, then the problem is likely medical and not with the seats.
I do not know where you got the impression that the seats in virtually any car leave me limping as I said that only my A4 B8 causes me this problem and that I never had this problem in the past...

Quick Reply: Foot cramps