A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Fried ECU with REVO or APR software

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can REVO or APR software fry/burn your ECU

hey guys.. I have been searching the pros and cons about flashing your ECU with revo or apr and seems like there's 70% pros and 30% cons. Pros are gaining HP, TQ and the list goes on.. On the other hand the cons are your ECU getting fried. I have my app for my ECU flash for revo stage 1 July 31 on my 2011 B8 but before I do want to make sure Its all good.. Any concerns, advices, previous experiences etc will help prevent a mistake..

Thanks'

Last edited by Liborio_1985; 07-17-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU cannot be "fried" due to reprogramming. It could be fried if it was literally hit by lightning or an electromagnetic pulse from a solar flare LOL. Revo does not remove the ECU from your car, so the danger of removing the ECU is not there. That danger of removing the ECU was my main concern about ECU reprogramming, but they don't do that anymore. Before you would need to physically remove the ECU from your car's computer, and that could damage the ECU. But now with modern technology, Revo just connect their device to the car's computer port (port flash) which is safer and quicker.

The concern is more about the engine and turbo, if it can take the higher horsepower, but the chances of that can be remedied by changing synthetic oil every 5000 miles. And just don't drive your car above the redline. Maybe max at 6,000 rpm.

Last edited by ayap; 07-17-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google Chipwerke and Racechip. Lots of possible feedback, with a greatly reduced risk of voiding the Audi warranty.

Originally Posted by ayap
The ECU cannot be "fried" due to reprogramming. It could be fried if it was literally hit by lightning or an electromagnetic pulse from a solar flare LOL. Revo does not remove the ECU from your car, so the danger of removing the ECU is not there. That danger of removing the ECU was my main concern about ECU reprogramming, but they don't do that anymore. Before you would need to physically remove the ECU from your car's computer, and that could damage the ECU. But now with modern technology, Revo just connect their device to the car's computer port (port flash) which is safer and quicker.

The concern is more about the engine and turbo, if it can take the higher horsepower, but the chances of that can be remedied by changing synthetic oil every 5000 miles. And just don't drive your car above the redline. Maybe max at 6,000 rpm.