A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Functinality of Premium's "trip computer"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functinality of Premium's "trip computer"

I know only the P+ and above trims have a real trip computers, but the Premium trim seems to have some sort of a basic display for mpgs. Can it display instantaneous and average mpgs? What else can be displayed, and what does it lack compared to the real trip computer? Can some kind owner shed some lights on this?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unless there is some box to check to get it (and unless the 2011/2012s are different), I don't believe the Premiums get all the bells and whistles in the MFD, just miles until empty. I didn't check to see if it had this when I bought mine and was dismayed to learn it was not included on the car. I traded a relatively low-end VW Eos for my A4 and the Eos had it. I was stunned that a 28k VW had options a 34k luxury car did not (even GTIs have the ability to toggle through settings in the MFD). I know people will tell me that I have things my Eos did not and that accounts for the corner cutting (the only substantial difference is the AWD and MMI, IMHO, unless you count the free shaking/shuddering I got with my Audi, but was not included with my VW), but the Eos is a hardtop convertible, so try to tell me the top doesn't cost as much as the AWD, which means I pretty much paid 6k for MMI, leather, shaking/shuddering, and four rings on the front. Bottom line: the MFD toggle should be included. One of the few things I think Audi truly dropped the ball on with the A4.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BMoreB8
Unless there is some box to check to get it (and unless the 2011/2012s are different), I don't believe the Premiums get all the bells and whistles in the MFD, just miles until empty. I didn't check to see if it had this when I bought mine and was dismayed to learn it was not included on the car. I traded a relatively low-end VW Eos for my A4 and the Eos had it. I was stunned that a 28k VW had options a 34k luxury car did not (even GTIs have the ability to toggle through settings in the MFD). I know people will tell me that I have things my Eos did not and that accounts for the corner cutting (the only substantial difference is the AWD and MMI, IMHO, unless you count the free shaking/shuddering I got with my Audi, but was not included with my VW), but the Eos is a hardtop convertible, so try to tell me the top doesn't cost as much as the AWD, which means I pretty much paid 6k for MMI, leather, shaking/shuddering, and four rings on the front. Bottom line: the MFD toggle should be included. One of the few things I think Audi truly dropped the ball on with the A4.
You can easily use vagcom to enable the trip computer and switch through options on the MMI... You can take it a step further and retrofit the stalks with the buttons for ~$100
Old 05-28-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BMoreB8
.. I don't believe the Premiums get all the bells and whistles in the MFD, just miles until empty.
I know they don't, but they get something and I am curious to know what that something is. No mpg indicator at all? Not even average mpg?

I was stunned that a 28k VW had options a 34k luxury car did not (even GTIs have the ability to toggle through settings in the MFD).
Well, my 9+ year base Passat (with steelies) has the VW/Audi trip computer with full functionality. I think MSRP was around $23K. If I am not mistaken, even the 2.5L Golf had it back then (still does?)
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
I know they don't, but they get something and I am curious to know what that something is. No mpg indicator at all? Not even average mpg?

Well, my 9+ year base Passat (with steelies) has the VW/Audi trip computer with full functionality. I think MSRP was around $23K. If I am not mistaken, even the 2.5L Golf had it back then (still does?)
see my post above... The only thing the Premium trip computer shows is miles to empty. However, if you have access to a vagcom, you can easily enable the other trip computer functions and switch between them in the MMI menu. You can also retrofit the trip computer stalks from ~$100 and have the complete trip computer functionality.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

NPuter,
This is news for me as I do have a '10 Avant premium and would like to look into this add of the trip computer. Is the stalk an OEM part item that is being used to fit?
Is vag com software available at the independents level or strictly dealer propriority?
Any other information you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quattrovant
NPuter,
This is news for me as I do have a '10 Avant premium and would like to look into this add of the trip computer. Is the stalk an OEM part item that is being used to fit?
Is vag com software available at the independents level or strictly dealer propriority?
Any other information you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
quattroavant,

The stalks are OEM - it is the same part the comes standard on P+.
I have not done the stalk conversion yet, but Cabal_san has and they work perfectly...

Vag_Com is a device used to access the car's computer. It is developed by a company called Ross Tech. This is available to anyone and costs ~$350. There are countless mods that you can do with this cable which justifies the price IMHO.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an easy mod for any P- to get the trip computer.

Search here for "DIS" and same on AZ.

The VAG method is detailed out on the AZ wiki. Replacing stalks discussed on the forums.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the update
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
This is an easy mod for any P- to get the trip computer.

Search here for "DIS" and same on AZ.

The VAG method is detailed out on the AZ wiki. Replacing stalks discussed on the forums.

Good luck.
I did a search and could find a thread that discussed the turn signal stalk replacement. Can you point me in the right direction?

And where did you order the part?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Functinality of Premium's "trip computer"