A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Get out of Lease options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get out of Lease options?

I wanted to know if there was a way to get out of my lease. Personal things are happening and I may not be able to afford the current monthly lease payment I have now which is nearly $500/month.

I would even be willing to stay with Audi/VW, but for a lower monthly payment. As much as I don't want to, I may have to. Because I know I will need to downgrade to get a lower price.

Are there any circumstances that are acceptable in getting out of a lease? Or getting a different lease for less?

I obviously don't want to do a voluntary repossession/surrender. If the dealer won't work with me, then is my only other option to do a lease transfer?

I read about doing a rollover, but it also says the dealership includes your remaining lease obligation in the payments on the new lease. That just doesn't make sense

Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lease's are pretty ironclad. The dealer is expecting x amount of money from you over the life of the lease and there's no incentive for them to give that up. The only thing I can think of seeing if you could do a buyout of the car and then turn around and sell it. Audi Financial's web site should give you the current buyout price. Then go and research what folks are paying/selling for your car with similar mileage. I highly doubt you have any equity in it but it may save you money over the long haul. The good thing is that used luxury cars are going for a premium right now so the loss may not be that bad.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fender4645
Lease's are pretty ironclad. The dealer is expecting x amount of money from you over the life of the lease and there's no incentive for them to give that up. The only thing I can think of seeing if you could do a buyout of the car and then turn around and sell it. Audi Financial's web site should give you the current buyout price. Then go and research what folks are paying/selling for your car with similar mileage. I highly doubt you have any equity in it but it may save you money over the long haul. The good thing is that used luxury cars are going for a premium right now so the loss may not be that bad.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am hoping I don't have to buy/sell it, but I wanted to see the best course for me to take. I'll know more over the next month or so if I need to make any drastic changes. My lease is up Oct. 2013.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If your lease is up in October and your payment is just under $500/month then the worst case in keeping the car is 5 months of payments or just under $2500. You say you'll know more in a month or so. That means the remaining payments might only total $1500. Given that October is not that far away, you might be able to find a dealer willing to do as you suggest and take the vehicle in trade for another with lower payments. That said, I'm not sure how much lower you could go without an up-front payment that is close to the cost of just finishing the existing lease.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRebbie
If your lease is up in October and your payment is just under $500/month then the worst case in keeping the car is 5 months of payments or just under $2500. You say you'll know more in a month or so. That means the remaining payments might only total $1500. Given that October is not that far away, you might be able to find a dealer willing to do as you suggest and take the vehicle in trade for another with lower payments. That said, I'm not sure how much lower you could go without an up-front payment that is close to the cost of just finishing the existing lease.
His lease is up Oct 2013, not 2012.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

You have 2 options

If you lease another Audi, say the current 2012 A4 at 349/mo, dealer will buy out your present lease and lease your a lower price one. I think VW is under same finance company so you can look into VW also. Below is a link re lease deals in your area.
http://www.autopromocenter.com/boston/car-lease/

Swap the lease by using this service, so someone will take over your lease. Some leasing company does not allow this, so check with Audi Finance first.
http://www.swapalease.com/
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
I wanted to know if there was a way to get out of my lease. Personal things are happening and I may not be able to afford the current monthly lease payment I have now which is nearly $500/month.

I would even be willing to stay with Audi/VW, but for a lower monthly payment. As much as I don't want to, I may have to. Because I know I will need to downgrade to get a lower price.

Are there any circumstances that are acceptable in getting out of a lease? Or getting a different lease for less?

I obviously don't want to do a voluntary repossession/surrender. If the dealer won't work with me, then is my only other option to do a lease transfer?

I read about doing a rollover, but it also says the dealership includes your remaining lease obligation in the payments on the new lease. That just doesn't make sense

Thanks
First off, sorry for your situation. It happens sometimes and it's wise of you to seek out your options.

Here are some ideas...

1) Try to extend your lease. Maybe with a longer term, the monthly payment could drop.

2) Also, try to renegotiate some of your lease terms. Maybe you can cut out some driving and get your annual mileage allotment reduced. This could lower your monthly payment.

3) Look into a credit union. Companies like Lockheed Financial Services offer very low rates. Maybe with a new loan through them, you could significantly reduce your monthly payment, while they end up paying off Audi.

4) Consider selling the car privately now. You will likely get more for it than what the dealer would offer. Then take that amount you get from the sale, pay off Audi, and you are free of your car payment.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi
You have 2 options

If you lease another Audi, say the current 2012 A4 at 349/mo, dealer will buy out your present lease and lease your a lower price one. I think VW is under same finance company so you can look into VW also. Below is a link re lease deals in your area.
http://www.autopromocenter.com/boston/car-lease/

Swap the lease by using this service, so someone will take over your lease. Some leasing company does not allow this, so check with Audi Finance first.
http://www.swapalease.com/
Thanks. I am in NJ, but I'm sure there are other places around that offer similar options. The swap lease is a good idea too. I'll look into both.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
His lease is up Oct 2013, not 2012.
HER lease....... but that's ok. I get that a lot on these forums
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It was obvious that you were pushing it when you bought the car, but you had to have that nav package! Best of luck anyway.

Quick Reply: Get out of Lease options?