A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Got my 2010 A4 Avant S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Got my 2010 A4 Avant S-Line

We picked it up yesterday, it's a pretty cool car. The S-Line package is REALLY nice, both interior and exterior. I highly recommend it. There's so much stuff in the MMI it'll take me a few weeks of fiddling to find it all.

The keyless start is REALLY cool. The swiveling lights are cool, I got to try them last night. Didn't really get to use the side assist yet, I haven't driven on a major highway. The iPod interface is very cool. Quattro is very cool: this is my first non-FWD car, and nailing the throttle while climbing up a steep gravel driveway is a revelation, the car just... goes.

Is it true that when you pull the E-Brake while driving, it does a full panic stop? Anyone try that yet?

Is there a break-in period on the car?

A couple of things that bug me:

- The steering doesn't seem as direct as on my TSX, it's noticeable at high speed. It's very precise but it feels like there's a bit of a lag. I never noticed that on the test drive but I didn't drive at highway speeds and the test drive A4 didn't have the huge 255 tires, maybe that's a factor. Is that the speed-sensitive steering I'm feeling, that many reviewers complain about?

- The side-view mirror adjustment **** (and a couple of other ones) feels cheap compared to the TSX, once I even accidentally made it rotate past all the intended positions. There's a couple of places like that where it looks like they were trying to save money, it feels out of place in this car.

- The music starts playing when I turn on the ignition. I'm running the car with music on (radio, SD, iPod, doesn't matter), I press the little volume button to turn it off, I turn off the car, then when I turn it back on the music plays automatically. How do I get it to not play music automatically? Couldn't find that in the MMI.

- The Home Link took me a while to get set up, much longer than on the TSX. I had to go to HomeLink.com and it turns out you need to "train" it, you have to press both outside buttons together, then turn on an existing remote next to the front Audi logo, then press the button you want to use to open the garage, then it actually learns the commands like my other openers do.

- When you have the ignition on and you open the door, it starts beeping really loud. How do you get it to stop? What if I want to vacuum the car with the music on?

- There's a lack of small storage compartments compared to my TSX, and the smaller cupholder is too small.

- Is there any way to remove the rear head restraints? My Britax Marathon won't fit properly in front-facing position because the head restraint is in the way. I may be able to manage it more or less if I extend the headrest completely and jam the top of the car seat against the bottom of the head rest, but it would be a LOT easier if I could just take it off.

- Why does the speedometer not have a display in Miles as well as km/h? Is that something you can turn on in the MMI? I've seen a "units" setting somewhere in the MMI but now I can't find it, I'm not sure if that was it.

- I found it difficult to get a comfortable position with the seats. In the end I had to recline the seat a lot more than in my TSX, just to get the head restraint to a comfortable angle. I think it's ok now.

- No LED tail lights. They told me it would have them when I ordered.

Seems like a long list but overall I like it.

Pics:

Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just press the volume button for a very short period of time you actually MUTE it. If you HOLD the button a second or two it turns OFF the radio.

Enjoy your new A4 it looks fantastic.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Music issue

The music starts playing when I turn on the ignition. I'm running the car with music on (radio, SD, iPod, doesn't matter), I press the little volume button to turn it off, I turn off the car, then when I turn it back on the music plays automatically. How do I get it to not play music automatically? Couldn't find that in the MMI.
Sounds to me that you're not turning the radio off. If you push the volume button quickly, it just mutes the speakers -- but the radio is still on. Try pressing the volume button in for two seconds. Whatever you had on the screen (radio stations, playlist, etc.) will now be gone, and the radio will be off.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

don't touch the music volume after you turn off your engine. After turning igition off, just open the door, radio should turn off. So next time when you turn your engine back on.. radio should come on also...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RoyM
If you just press the volume button for a very short period of time you actually MUTE it. If you HOLD the button a second or two it turns OFF the radio.
Thanks!!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice! I have the same Quartz 2010 on order as well.

No LED tails???! Are you in US or Canada?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Canada. Another person here posted from the US and he also didn't get LED tail lights.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Canada. Another person here posted from the US and he also didn't get LED tail lights.
From our Canadian order guide...LED tails are included in the Premium trim. I'm disappointed.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SWAG ON
From our Canadian order guide...LED tails are included in the Premium trim. I'm disappointed.
There was a updated order guide sent to dealers with the correction.

The main issue with the European LED tail lights is the turn signals are not bright enough to meet the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Audi Germany did not develop specific lights for North America that meet these requirements.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by belzebutt

- Is there any way to remove the rear head restraints? My Britax Marathon won't fit properly in front-facing position because the head restraint is in the way. I may be able to manage it more or less if I extend the headrest completely and jam the top of the car seat against the bottom of the head rest, but it would be a LOT easier if I could just take it off.
I had the same issue. I had to go to the dealer. They removed the rear headrest in about 10min., no appointment.

Quick Reply: Got my 2010 A4 Avant S-Line