A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Got rear-ended a couple of hours ago...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
I'd take it to the dealer. The car is pretty much new.. she'll have a heart attack once she sees the bill.
Hahahaha, gotta share the feeling. I'm sure he had a heart attack when she hit his car.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What an idiot. Take it to an non-expensive bodyshop? Hopefully there was a police report taken, she is at fault and her insurance will have to cover the claim. Take it to the shop of your choice (its your right) that knows how to properly match pearl effect paint (if you have it). These cars are new enough that you don't have to worry about crappy aftermarket parts.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My condolences.

She stuck around? She also had insurance?
You might of actually gotten lucky!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

I had similar in my S4. The result was just some slight scratching to the surface but it was quite an impact.

When I had it checked out the interior bumber i.e. the real bumper) had done it's job well and totally deformed.

The guy who drove into me wasn't happy with the £2k bill he received and contested it but my insurers got his insurers to pay in the end.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrrrrrrrrrrgggg.. I share your pain, this happened to me as well a week back. Hope everyone is fine and justice shall be served!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
I'd take it to the dealer. The car is pretty much new.. she'll have a heart attack once she sees the bill.
Just had my bumper replaced by the dealer after someone backed into me - the bumper cover and a couple "guides" on one corner had to be replaced - total was just under $1,000 (60% labor/40% parts). First time ever I had to deal with someone else's insurance company (Nationwide) - while the adjuster's initial estimate was $250 less than the dealer, he told me not to worry about and that they'd negotiate directly with the body shop and there'd be no cash out of my pocket (and there wasn't). Adjuster told me I was free to go to whatever body shop I chose and was very easy to deal with...whole process was fairly painless.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
My condolences.

She stuck around? She also had insurance?
You might of actually gotten lucky!
Gotten lucky, or "lucky" lucky? I'm married, hombre!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got four estimates today, all around $1200. I'll be needing a new bumper and valance.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Toecutter, sorry to hear your car had a wreck. That's worse than a podiatrist with cold hands.

I would be careful not to accept such a low estimate because you probably have frame damage too. If it is not addressed by an Audi certified body shop your car might not protect you as it should in another accident if the rear crush zone is deformed. Most dealers are not Audi certified, so you might need to hunt one up and run over there. I can see this cresting over 5K if a ride on the frame bench is needed to pull the car back to square. The car will need to be taken apart to see if the frame is OK.

You also have a diminished value claim against the other driver. Your car might not be able to be resold as a "Certified" car. I am not sure what the program requirements are for Audi, but a Porsche with similar repairs is worth about 15 to 20% of MSRP less than an undamaged car. That money should go in your pocket today, even if you don't sell the car for years.

I am sure her insurance carrier will try to screw you, (they can't help themselves) so if you see just one inch of barbed wire from them, get an attorney. It never fails, one little letter from an attorney and they take down the barb wire and play nice.

Last edited by Moviela; 08-03-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a little FYI about CarFax. They don't seem to actually get insurance claim information from CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange), the most they usually get is police accident reports. Even then, there is usually a threshold for whats considered a "reportable" accident (in NJ its a pathetic $500 estimated by the cop on the scene), if its below that, Carfax never sees the report. The information from the reports tend to be very vague as well.

Regarding frame damage, if it was a light hit there shouldn't be any problems. (pictures would help) Insurance collision adjusters will usually tear down the car (at the body shop of your choice) to look for further damage. Its best to be there with the adjuster to point out any possible damage he/she might miss, feel free to bring up possible frame damage. If more damage is found by the body shop during the repair, the insurer will issue a supplement to cover the added costs.

Diminished value claims can be tricky, so consult a lawyer. Some states (Georgia is one I believe) have official policies in place to pay out diminshed value claims, most don't. If you do pursue it, you will need an appraiser to evaluate the car (there are specialty appraisers just for these claims) and come up with the diminished value which you will submit to the insurer. The other party's insurance will cover the bill for the appraisal.

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended a couple of hours ago...