A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Has anyone considered a GTI instead?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Your assumptions are wrong. The GTI is MUCH smaller, especially in the back seat.
I sat in both (S4) at the L.A. Auto show. In terms of usable seating space, the Audi didn't seem noticeably bigger.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by validA4
I am tired of FWD cars and constant tire slippage. It's either AWD or RWD for me, but your mileage may vary.
Constant tire slippage? You can get slippage with RWD too, with far more disastrous consequences than wheel hop. You always have to apply the right amount of power, otherwise you can get slippage with all configurations if the engine is powerful enough and/or the curve is tight enough.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by av_audi
I sat in both (S4) at the L.A. Auto show. In terms of usable seating space, the Audi didn't seem noticeably bigger.
There won't be if you slide the seats all the way back. If you put the front seat at yoru driving position there will be unless you're so tall you need the seat all the way back. In that case the GTI would have the driver cramped. I owned an 07 Rabbit and a 08 GTI and with the seat in my driving position (I'm 5'9") there is a noticeable increase in rear legroom.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Constant tire slippage? You can get slippage with RWD too, with far more disastrous consequences than wheel hop. You always have to apply the right amount of power, otherwise you can get slippage with all configurations if the engine is powerful enough and/or the curve is tight enough.
Yes, but you'll get to the limits faster in a FWD because one set of wheels is doing everything.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree as you can get the GTI Fully loaded with AutoBaun today for around $29-31k. With Navi, heated seats, bluetooth, etc. To get that in the A4 it would cost 40k.

I don't disagree with that, even in terms of sportiness. According to Consumer Reports, the A4 does a little better in their "avoidance maneuver" as well as in braking. But the question for me is: do I settle for a nice, fun, and practical car of $24K (street price for base 4-door GTI)? Or do I spend an extra $6.5K and go for the nicer looking, more luxurious, better handling, and more grown-up A4 Premium QTM? Or do I go even further and spend an extra $11K and get a P+ with wood? Going from one end to the other of this spectrum, we are looking at $24K versus $35K, not even counting the difference in tax and registration fees. I can purchase both, but I would finance if given a 0% to 1% special interest rate. But having an extra $12K or so around is always nice. On the other hand, I keep my cars for up to ten years, so what's a $1100/year difference? And then life is short.

So you see, I am a little conflicted here.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Last January I bought a used 07 GTI. The car was so much fun and enjoyed driving it so much. It became my preferred daily driver and the MDX stayed in the garage unless I needed the space for something or if it was snowing. For years I had stayed away from VW/Audi products because of reliability concerns. But after doing some research prior to buying the GTI, I found that VAG products had improved dramatically, which is one reason I pulled the trigger on the GTI.

So where does the A4 fit into this? This summer, on a whim, I decided to stop in at an Audi dealer and check out the A4. I had always loved the A4 and I wanted to see if the new Avant was big enough to suit my needs. After deciding it was large enough, I then made the mistake of driving it. I say mistake sarcastically, because after I drove it I had to have it. Bye bye MDX.

I am in my mid-40s, and as fun as the GTI is, I have always felt like I was 20 years too old for the car. The Audi is 95% of the fun, but feels much more grown up and mature. It suits me perfectly. Add to that the impeccable interior of the A4 and the security of quattro, you can't find a finer vehicle. The GTI now sits in the garage as I look for a buyer. Driving it now is a chore, as I enjoy driving the A4 so much more.

IMHO, save the GTIs for the twentysomethings and go for the A4.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

speaking as someone who's owned a 2010 Jetta (very similar to a GTI), it's not a bad choice. I don't care for the Jetta, it a bit of a piece of garbage, but the GTI is a sweet little car. (I chalk that up to the Jetta factory in Mexic and the GTI factory in Germany.) I like the retro-plaid cloth interior, it handles jsut as well as most Audis, the R20 is faster than most Audis, and it can be had a fair price.

the things I don't like qbout the GTI have more to do with the way it works: the touchscreen radio is very glitchy. the climate control is bargain basement, and VW likes those horseshow wheels that weigh a ton and ride poorly. The DSG is a also bit of a hodge-podge that's expensive to service. miserable VW customer servic doesn't help the total package, either. Unfortunately, most insurance companies also dislike the GTI, as it's one ofthe top ticketed cars in the nation (it might even be #1)

Keep in mind that it's unfair to compare a GTI to an A4. GTI to A3 is a fairer comparison. To equip the $24k GTI to the level of an A3, you're looking at the Autobahn package which get's you up to $29,605. for a GTI. If you want leather, You HAVE to get the glitchy VW nav, and you HAVE to get the sunroof. You don't get the dual zone climate control (very important to my marriage) you don't get the better infotainment system, and you don't get the option to custom order. VW's are strictly dealer stock, only. Tehy might be able to find a car for you, but forget about building one to your tastes and ordering it. Or you can get a Premium A3 for $27k, an toss $2k at it to get whatever options from the GTI you want via ala carte ordering. Or you step up to the P+ A3 for $29,270 (still $300 cheaper than the GTI w/ Autobahn package) and get a lot of the fancy bits along with the sparkly headlights. Personally, I'd go with Premium A3 with a Titanium package to get get the fancy bits and the alacantra sport seats for $100 more than the GTI autobahn.

bonus points: cops (for some reason) don't see the A3's. They do see GTI's.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seriously? The "hoseshoe" GTI wheels are hollow-spoked, very strong, and a LOT lighter than you think.

And the DSG is a hodge-podge?? It's the EXACT same tranmsission as the S-Tronic and the Porsche PDK. Is it expensive to service? All automated manuals are, but it's not a bad tranny by any stretch of the imagination.

I do agree the RNS units in the newer VWs suck. However, since they didn't pull an Audi or BMW move and integrate everything under the sun into it it's easily replaced with an aftermarket unit you wish to put in and the only function you'll lose, if it's even in there to begin with, is voice control.

You can't add Titanium to a Premium car so you'd have to move up to P+ which would put you at $31,745 plus whatever the "lighting package" costs since it's a mandatory add-on with Titanium. The GTI really isn't a bad deal at all but you are correct in that they're so similar that ANY price difference isn't really justified.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Seriously? The "hoseshoe" GTI wheels are hollow-spoked, very strong, and a LOT lighter than you think.

And the DSG is a hodge-podge?? It's the EXACT same tranmsission as the S-Tronic and the Porsche PDK. Is it expensive to service? All automated manuals are, but it's not a bad tranny by any stretch of the imagination.

I do agree the RNS units in the newer VWs suck. However, since they didn't pull an Audi or BMW move and integrate everything under the sun into it it's easily replaced with an aftermarket unit you wish to put in and the only function you'll lose, if it's even in there to begin with, is voice control.

You can't add Titanium to a Premium car so you'd have to move up to P+ which would put you at $31,745 plus whatever the "lighting package" costs since it's a mandatory add-on with Titanium. The GTI really isn't a bad deal at all but you are correct in that they're so similar that ANY price difference isn't really justified.
Jeez, then just get the regualr sport package. or no package.

those 18" detroits/huffs weigh between 28 and 30 lbs, depending on which vendor supplies them (VW uses 2 suppliers for that wheel). They're freaking heavy.

The robot that lives in the little DSG gingerbread house goes senile and dies prematurely. Dat's why VW extended the DSG warranties to 100k miles. and if VW actually admitted to a problem with one of their widgets, you know it was bad.
I agree that the DSG is no worse than any of the other transvestite autmatics out there, but paying $400 to service a slushbox drag queen isn't as sexy as getting some love from a proper 3rd pedal for free. (well, it's not for me. if the drag thing floats your boat, then so be it.)

At the end of the day, I don't like the GTI becuase it's a VW. I know that's splitting hairs on an Audi forum, but I've never been so bold-faced lied to and mistreated as I have been treated, or seen others mistreaded, by VW dealers.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
MML
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
speaking as someone who's owned a 2010 Jetta (very similar to a GTI), it's not a bad choice. I don't care for the Jetta, it a bit of a piece of garbage, but the GTI is a sweet little car. (I chalk that up to the Jetta factory in Mexic and the GTI factory in Germany.) I like the retro-plaid cloth interior, it handles jsut as well as most Audis, the R20 is faster than most Audis, and it can be had a fair price.

the things I don't like qbout the GTI have more to do with the way it works: the touchscreen radio is very glitchy. the climate control is bargain basement, and VW likes those horseshow wheels that weigh a ton and ride poorly. The DSG is a also bit of a hodge-podge that's expensive to service. miserable VW customer servic doesn't help the total package, either. Unfortunately, most insurance companies also dislike the GTI, as it's one ofthe top ticketed cars in the nation (it might even be #1)

Keep in mind that it's unfair to compare a GTI to an A4. GTI to A3 is a fairer comparison. To equip the $24k GTI to the level of an A3, you're looking at the Autobahn package which get's you up to $29,605. for a GTI. If you want leather, You HAVE to get the glitchy VW nav, and you HAVE to get the sunroof. You don't get the dual zone climate control (very important to my marriage) you don't get the better infotainment system, and you don't get the option to custom order. VW's are strictly dealer stock, only. Tehy might be able to find a car for you, but forget about building one to your tastes and ordering it. Or you can get a Premium A3 for $27k, an toss $2k at it to get whatever options from the GTI you want via ala carte ordering. Or you step up to the P+ A3 for $29,270 (still $300 cheaper than the GTI w/ Autobahn package) and get a lot of the fancy bits along with the sparkly headlights. Personally, I'd go with Premium A3 with a Titanium package to get get the fancy bits and the alacantra sport seats for $100 more than the GTI autobahn.

bonus points: cops (for some reason) don't see the A3's. They do see GTI's.
Not sure why you say that VW's are dealer stock only and that you can't order.... I did that last year, ordered a 2010 GTI they way I wanted it and it came in 4 months later... The car has been very good, I do really miss the Quattro, otherwise it is a nice car for the price. not an A4, but it was 10K less....

Quick Reply: Has anyone considered a GTI instead?