A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Has anyone used TECHRON in their gasoline tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone used TECHRON in their gasoline tank?

Engines are designed to work at their best when they are clean and modern engines are designed to work with finer tolerances and at higher temperatures. TechronŽ works molecule by molecule to prevent deposit formation, and in the case of deposits left behind by low quality gasoline, works to remove those deposits.

Has anyone used this in their tank?...
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
Engines are designed to work at their best when they are clean and modern engines are designed to work with finer tolerances and at higher temperatures. TechronŽ works molecule by molecule to prevent deposit formation, and in the case of deposits left behind by low quality gasoline, works to remove those deposits.

Has anyone used this in their tank?...
Most good gasolines have detergents in them and usually keep the injectors clean. I usually use techron 2 to 3 times a year and mostly during the winter season. Other than that I run Mobile gas.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Snr Lopez, the main problem with the common additives is they need to be spritzed upstream of the intake valve to really do their thing. Since our Audis are mostly direct injection, the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder beyond the intake valve. However, there may still be some minor benefit.

I've added two bottles of the stuff (the flavor that does NOT say "Proguard" on the label) on the label and I'm certain the car starts better when cold (often an indicator of the carbon build up) and the idle is somewhat smoother. This may be a band-aid approach, but there has been some minor improvement for our 2006 A6 w/70k miles.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seems like the only questionable aspect of using Techron in these engines is its effectiveness in cleaning the intake valves. For everything else, such as fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors, chamber deposits, etc., it should still be effective.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Most good gasolines have detergents in them and usually keep the injectors clean. I usually use techron 2 to 3 times a year and mostly during the winter season. Other than that I run Mobile gas.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
I seems like the only questionable aspect of using Techron in these engines is its effectiveness in cleaning the intake valves. For everything else, such as fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors, chamber deposits, etc., it should still be effective.

Agreed, but any Top Tier premium fuel should offer the same.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of us that use quality premium gas really have no need for any additive for our cars. There is no mechanic in a can. Techron is an exception for a narrow range of vehicles.

Many of us can buy Chevron gasoline and enjoy the additional solvent capabilities of the unique amine additive. The bottle version adds cylinder deposit removal.

This is only necessary where quality gasolines are unavailable or not used.

Some Top Tier gasolines do a great job of keeping the fuel delivery system clean and tidy, but fail to keep the cylinders clean.

Some Koreans, Sweeds, and Germans discourage use of any additive, but allow use of Techron in service manuals for ways to treat carbon build up.

If you have no carbon in your cylinders Techron as a bottle additive will not do anything for you.

Last edited by Moviela; 05-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Agreed, but any Top Tier premium fuel should offer the same.
True. But just like with household cleaning, and occasional extra scrubbing can be done, whether needed or not
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
True. But just like with household cleaning, and occasional extra scrubbing can be done, whether needed or not
I want to thank everyone for your responses.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read on the internet - "SO It must be TRUE" that the etoh in E10 cleans everything as we drive. This may lead to the detriment of some older vehicles. Many stories of folks with flexfuel vehicles, like an ordinary chevy , driving 50-60,000 mi on E10. They have no availability of E85 (Flexfuel) where they live. On aroad trip to grandma in Iowa they buy E85 cause it's a buck cheaper. 40 miles later the vehicle stops, cause the etoh(ethanol) at an 85% concentration dissolved every fuel tank grime and engine deposit ever left there, cloggging up the fuel system.
So , this is a common outcome , confirmed by a friend who is a 30 yr Chevy dealer mechanic. Therefore , Etoh must be cleaning as we drive with E10. I stopped dumping any mystery fluids ie. Seafoam in my tank even though it feels good to spend the bucks and do cause we want to do the best for our highly prized outos.
I am going to buy some E85 and play around with it my 2 stroke dirtbike. I know some drag racers running E85 at the track via larger injectors and programming changes for big hp gains.
I am no racefuel geek , but I think the octane of E85 is somewhere near 102. I run 110 oct in the dirt bike mixed 50/50 with 93 and good oil.
SO I say, and I am NO-ONE , " save your money on gas additives and change your oil more frequently (5-6000mi) vs the recommended 10,000 by audi.
btw , there are additives in name brand gasolines that are not added to lowbudget fuels at the lowbudget fuelstops., SO stick with name brand gasolines ,referred to as top tier I think.