A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Have high gas prices & the poor economy changed your car buying plans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Have high gas prices & the poor economy changed your car buying plans?

For the last several years I've had my heart set on buying a new 3.2 B8. But now I'm starting to look at things differently. With the high price of gasoline, the poor mileage of Audi 3.2s, the devaluation of the dollar and the price increase of Audis, I'm wondering if getting a new A4 will be a wise move.

Sure, I could get the 2.0, but I really don't want a turbocharged engine. I'm not planning to mod my car, and I like the smoothness of the V6. Yes, I know a chipped 2.0 will beat a 3.2, but I'm not planning to do any drag racing.

Secondly, I work in a struggling industry (newspaper), and who knows what the next couple of years are going to bring. Papers all over the country are laying off people, and things aren't about to improve as more people turn to the Internet for their news.

All in all, it's a pretty shaky time to be thinking about buying a new luxury automobile.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That and Audi's price increases....

will more than likely keep me from being in another new one for a bit. I'm investigating the idea of "parking" the allroad for a while and purchasing more commuter friendly transportation. Then the allroad will be more recreation time vehicle.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Have high gas prices & the poor economy changed your car buying plans?

Well, I ordered a new 2.0T after a string of Audis (over two dozen) that, most recently, played out like this:

1995 S6
1997 A8 4.2
1999 A6 2.8
2000 A6 4.2
2001 A6 4.2 sport
2003 allroad 2.7T 6spd (modded)
2005 A6 3.2

Of these cars my sense is the S6 will remain in my memory as "my sentimental favorite." Yet, as every month, beyond my 36 month lease on the 2005 3.2 passes, I have come to the conclusion that the 3.2 A6 is the best car I have ever had.

However, upon driving, extensively (I had it for days) a 2007 A6 3.2 and less extensively a 2008 A6 3.2, I find them substantially identical to my 2005. I see no difference that would be material to me, that is, between what I have and what I can practically get in the same family.

So, the new A4 with the well reviewed (and higher performing 4) 2.0T was a draw before I even dreamed that high gas prices are not only here to stay, but steadily rising.

Now, a nearly as big (for my wife and me), new and improved, A4 that will apparently get more miles per gallon and offer some features (Audi drive select, for instance) that the C6 A6 does not (in my timeframe) offer seems to make me -- er,like I was really altogether "smarter" than I am, in reality.

So the new A4 seems "the smartest" choice based on what we know today: smarter than the G37X, the BMW 3, the Mercedes C, the CTS and a couple others I could add.

The performance and apparently the smoothness will not be an issue, nor will the fuel economy; these other guys, nice as they may be, powerful as they surely are, seem akin to some kind of excess and damn near disrespect (if I actually believed there was an imminent shortage of crude, that is.)

But, oil shortage or no, the 2.0T may well be the cake and eat it too powerplant.

I am excited by somehow going green by buying a new entry level luxury car. And, I ordered mine with every option box checked save for ACC and I still have three days left to make that decision if someone here on AW would tell me about their experience with this feature.

So, yes, the gas prices and the economy has, apparently, changed my previously cultivated habits of buying without any thought of MPGs.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A year ago I was certain I wanted to get a gently used A8 for road trips...

But the combination of the styling of the B8, the heebie jeebies of owning an Audi as complicated as the A8, the rising price of fuel and the shinyness of the new B8 platform which should satisfy my space needs has me back to looking at getting in a new A4 instead of a used A8.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Have high gas prices & the poor economy changed your car buying plans?

The new reality has definitely changed my buying plans. Instead of reflexively replacing my A8L lease with a new one, I'm now seriously considering an A4 Avant, although I must admit I'm a little put off by the lack of interior choices. It might be shallow, but I just don't dig on black, grey, or beige. And I'm told by AoA that a custom interior is not likely for N. America.

Currently I have a Honda Odyssey Touring, which is a great machine but gets crappy mileage; and a new Jag XK conv for my wife, which also gets crappy mileage.

My young children are all over me to "help the earth" and not get a third gas guzzler. So when I read about the 2.0 TFSI I was "all ears".

So yes, the times are changin', as I would never have considered an A4 even a few years ago.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No need to discount the 2.0 engine...

This is not your father's 1.8 or 2.0 from another era. This is going to be another award-winning mill from Audi. It is supposed to me smoother and quieter than the current 2.0. And when you look at the torque numbers, higher mileage, and lighter engine weight (equals better handling), you can't go wrong. Give it a chance. I think anyone who spends the extra cash for a V6 at this point would be wasting their dough.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Agreed, but. . .

What could they do at this moment? No V6 would have probably been an excuse to criticize Audi much in the same fashion that Acura was criticized for the lack of a V8 on the RL just a few short years ago.

Marketing -- barely the customers -- needed the V6. The fact that the 3.2 is a great engine in many ways is such a yawner to the reporting crowd who can't stop crowing about numbers from BMW, Cadillac and Infiniti (just to name 3) that begin with a "3." 300 or more HP "available or standard" seems to be part of the ad copy (perhaps that was then, this is now.)

Unfortunately, the 3.2 as good as it is can't really claim superiority in power or MPG's.

If Audi could have said "our V6 gets 30MPG's and is the class leader for efficient power," well maybe that would have been helpful.

Now it is the poorer performer (only showing a .2 second advantage 0-100kph by virtue of the 2.0T's taller final drive ratio) and way more expensive and doesn't win in the efficiency sweepstakes either.

Audi 3.2 A4's "buy one, get one free." Well not really, but this will NOT be offered in any substanial inventory allocations, you can take that to the bank.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My recent 39 MPG experience says "yes."

Just got done with my commute to work this morning in my chipped A4 B7 2.0T. If getting 39 MPG and having a lighter car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds doesn't change your buying plans, I don't know what will.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Ding!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 AM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought a new A6 Sat. Poor business= Good deal.

Quick Reply: Have high gas prices & the poor economy changed your car buying plans?