A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Headlight/DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic but I can't help but notice the people that keep their HID's on during the day to show off that they have HID's..I live in Phoenix, AZ and see people with them on everyday.. completely unnecessary...How stupid is this?...so these people are wasting their bulb life...for what?..to look cool?.. to show people they have HID's?... idiots..

Last edited by takethetest; 04-02-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by takethetest
A little off topic but I can't help but notice the people that keep their HID's on during the day to show off that they have HID's..I live in Phoenix, AZ and see people with them on everyday.. completely unnecessary...How stupid is this?...so these people are wasting their bulb life...for what?..to look cool?.. to show people they have HID's?... idiots..
No, a safety issue. I've always kept my headlights on; I'm a lot better off if other people see me than if they don't. This is the reason for "Lights on for safety" campaigns, and for DRL requirements in many places. Typical US "parking" lights are not bright or distinctive enough for this purpose, so headlights it is. Since my new A4 will have actual DRLs, I'll be using those instead of headlights during the day.

- Dennis
Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious if my LEDs burn out during warranty would Audi replace them?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In EU keeping lights on is mandatory since many many years.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Curious if my LEDs burn out during warranty would Audi replace them?
of course they would...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brothers
No, a safety issue. I've always kept my headlights on; I'm a lot better off if other people see me than if they don't. This is the reason for "Lights on for safety" campaigns, and for DRL requirements in many places. Typical US "parking" lights are not bright or distinctive enough for this purpose, so headlights it is. Since my new A4 will have actual DRLs, I'll be using those instead of headlights during the day.

- Dennis
Whatever man, the only people I see with headlights on during the day are the people driving pieces of crap with HID's installed that clearly want to show them off...it's Arizona, it's sunny over 300 days a year there is no issue seeing other drivers...
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whatever man, the only people I see with headlights on during the day are the people driving pieces of crap with HID's installed that clearly want to show them off...it's Arizona, it's sunny over 300 days a year there is no issue seeing other drivers...
Actually, many studies have shown that there _is_ an issue seeing other drivers. Even in bright daylight, a car is seen and reacted to significantly sooner if it has headlights (or, these days, DRLs) on.

<rant on>For too many people (yourself included, I assume from your attitude), driving is a casual, non-intellectual activity. For (good) professional drivers, and non-professionals who dislike messy things like accidents but still want to get from point A to point B in the least amount of time, it is an intensely focussed activity. It requires constant attention and an awareness of all the things you can do to tilt the odds in your favor. Being more visible to other drivers is an obvious and cheap odds-enhancer.<rant off>

- Dennis
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Typical US "parking" lights are not bright or distinctive enough for this purpose, so headlights it is. Since my new A4 will have actual DRLs, I'll be using those instead of headlights during the day
Unless the law has changed recently, it is illegal in NYS (maybe others) to drive with your parkling lights on. These lights are a way of telling oncoming cars that you are safely stopped at the side of the road and will not be coming out into the lane of moving traffic. To drive with the parking lights on gives confusing signals to other drivers who are aware of the rules of the road (of course in this country lately it appears few are). It is a safety consideration to make sure you are not driving with your parking lights on. This is why DRL's were introduced a while back, so there would be a legal alternative to running around during daylight with your headlights on.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, though I disagree with you on this particular issue (and I think you just need your consciousness raised a little , I do understand where you're coming from. The fog light thing is my pet peeve - how many posts have we seen here asking how to enable turning on the fog lights in completely inappropriate and/or illegal circumstances?

- Dennis
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

By the way, though I disagree with you on this particular issue (and I think you just need your consciousness raised a little ,
What part of my post do you disagree with? The legality or whether it is worth caring about? I am an old fart who tends to follow rules because I think it makes sense for all to do so. I also have been a sailor (occasional racer) so right of way, etc. means a lot to me - probably more than most. I'd love to drive 90+ mph all day but always stay at or below posted speed limits because "that's the rule/law" - do I sense you thinking "nerd" or worse? lol! Basically though, just think of it "parking lights", "daytime running lights" - the words do have meaning. Anyway, I await your elaboration on what you disagree with. I think we would both agree today was a beautiful day!!

Quick Reply: Headlight/DRL question