A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Mirrors

Can anyone tell me how to turn on the heated mirrors? How do u know they are on?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Can anyone tell me how to turn on the heated mirrors? How do u know they are on?

Thanks
Aren't they always on if the adjustment **** is set on the center detent?

Oh, how can you tell if they are on? You can rest a temperature sensing organ against it and see if it feels good? I figured that they were on when it was 20F out and the mirrors were clear. Not very scientific, I know.

Last edited by Toecutter; 04-22-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

This one is funny because there was those whole debate back in the day about the round switch on the drivers door for toggling between left, center (heater) and right mirror settings (I still believe someone when they said not to depress this button, try it does, because it's an auto eject button!).

If turned to the left mirror it does NOTHING. If turned to the right mirror (assuming you have this functionality) it pivots the right mirror down to curb level for parallel parking "when you are backing up" (in my opinion it needs zoom because it's a bit difficult to make out the curve to rim distance and trajectory on such a small mirror - maybe the least used function on my car). But center **** setting is the sweet spot. According:

to other posts the heater is ON when in this setting. The manual seems to confirms that so it would suggest by leaving it here you'd greatly reduce the life time of the heater as it is ALWAYS on. I had it set there for a while after purchase (I had no clue the thing came with mirror heaters in Scottsdale freakin AZ!!!) so I read a post that got into this subject and learned that I need to leave it to the left mirror setting to avoid doing anything (wife freaks when right mirror pivots to curve position during backup - she just does not like it, bothers her if you know what I mean).

So bottom line is that there is no indication heated mirrors is activated and you pretty much have to find out by reading your manual or checking the forum (like my lazy *** did)...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You must put the adjustment **** in the center and PRESS it. Trust me on this.

I iced up the driver's mirror really badly after washing the car once this winter. Found the water had left spots on the mirror when it dried, too many for my liking, so what did I do? Tried going over it with a wet chamois. Well that didn't work too well in the extreme cold. A layer of ice was just caked on there. Only when I PRESSED THE BUTTON did the ice start to break up, and in about a minute most of it had melted and/or fallen off the mirror. Quite impressive, actually. A bit of ice was left around the edges, indicating that possibly the heater was only on for about a minute after I had pressed the button and the heating cycle had ended. So, unless you're stacking weights on top of the button and keeping it permanently pressed, I don't think the heater's life time will be reduced.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I saw that you could press the mirror adjustment button in. I guess this activates the mirrors. I'm old fashion and would like a little red light to go on to confirm activation. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to wait untill the winter to try this out. Hopefully!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cacher_k61_wpg
I iced up the driver's mirror really badly after washing the car once this winter. Found the water had left spots on the mirror when it dried, too many for my liking, so what did I do? Tried going over it with a wet chamois. Well that didn't work too well in the extreme cold. A layer of ice was just caked on there. Only when I PRESSED THE BUTTON did the ice start to break up, and in about a minute most of it had melted and/or fallen off the mirror. Quite impressive, actually. A bit of ice was left around the edges, indicating that possibly the heater was only on for about a minute after I had pressed the button and the heating cycle had ended. So, unless you're stacking weights on top of the button and keeping it permanently pressed, I don't think the heater's life time will be reduced.
Yes, I have been redeemed!!!! The manual does not say anything about having to press this button, does it???
Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure? Just that manual says if you leave the **** in the center position the heated mirrors activate when the temperature outside is cold enough. There's no mention of pushing the button in to activate.

Maybe it was a coincidence in your case that pushing the button in was the same time the mirrors kicked in because it was cold outside?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In my B6, the heaters come on automatically when needed (e.g., temp or defrost). I cannot imagine it is any different for B8.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I know what the manual says...

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Are you sure? Just that manual says if you leave the **** in the center position the heated mirrors activate when the temperature outside is cold enough. There's no mention of pushing the button in to activate.

Maybe it was a coincidence in your case that pushing the button in was the same time the mirrors kicked in because it was cold outside?
I think having them activate automatically when the temperature outside is cold enough would be wasteful, particularly up here. In Winnipeg cold weather persists and usually comes with arctic desert conditions - nothing is going to ice up your side mirrors when it's clear and cold. I had to do that myself. I'm pretty sure I had the button in the center position, saw nothing was happening then said "What the heck, I'll try pressing it. Wooh! Lookit the ice melt!" That being said, I wish it were still cold enough that I could test this again.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts
Default AOA says....

FWIW, I called AOA and they told me the mirrors act as stated per the manual - the heaters come on in the center position - pushing the button IS required to activate the heating elements (my manual didn't mention this, as I recall though she said it was in the manual she was referencing).

She said it is time based but also a protection circuit will shut them off automatically if the elements get too warm to protect the heating wires from burning out prematurely. I was told they work much like the rear defroster heating element.

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors