A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How is the Bang & Olufsen Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the B&O and i love it! when you listen to a cd or a file in the memory card its amaizing, sound clarity should be their slogan!
but you should listen to both and make that decion yourself, everybodys ears are different.

the best part about it is that at higher volume levels the sounds dont blend together like the stock system, you can listen to everything.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
You cranked the bass and wonder why it's boomy? Most OEM systems center their bass controls at 100Hz. Turn it and the treble back to the middle setting and leave it that way for a couple of weeks and then, if you need to, make SMALL adjustments at a time.
I have turned the bass up because there is no low-end bass response on the Concert system. If it had a good enough sub to handle the 30-60Hz range and if the relationship between the 60Hz band and the 120Hz band was correct, it wouldn't have been boomy.

I completely agree with the small adjustments at a time and the speaker break-in hoax.
It took me a couple months to adjust my Home Theater. I have a Pioneer VSX-1019 receiver, Polk Audio TSi400 fronts, TSi300 surrounds and a CS10 center.
The issue there is that the autocalibration can do great with a tweak here and there for movie material, but since for music there doesn't appear to be a recording standard (or my music is too old), one needs to
tweak the bands manually and use multiple memories for different kinds of music to get the best out of a system.

Does the B&O have at least a 5-band equalizer?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

.. I only heard B&O while listening to the radio but listening to the radio the standard system sounded fuller, but less accurate. Standard was more enjoyable to listen to with the radio but I have no doubt that the B&O is better with better source material. However, if B&O wasn't included in Prestige I wouldn't get it. I can build something better without breaking a sweat.
A few observations (in case it helps someone):
* The B&O sound controls have separate memory for Radio and "Media".
* At first I had the "Focus" set to "All" and adjusted the Bass and Treble. Was not impressed. Changed Focus to Driver. Was not impressed.

But then I read in this forum that others strongly suggested to set Focus to "Driver", so I did that and _then_ adjusted the tone controls and Fade. That made a significant difference. It's not the "sound stage" but the sound quality that I felt made the big difference.

I use GALA=On and moderate adjustments on the tone controls
and also a surround setting slightly to the lower half.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Does the B&O have at least a 5-band equalizer?
No, at least not for the user to adjust. It has processing (and a microphone) to compensate for masking effects from varying surrounding noise. I don't know the details of that processing, but it works for me.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just my own opinion but it was absolutely worth the money. The B&O is the best non-aftermarket system I've heard and I love having it uncover nuances that I haven't yet appreciated in my music. It exceeded my expectations. Go for it.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Hands down best OEM stereo in the price range of this car. I have had every system that is available in both BMW, Audi and Mercedes and find this one to be the best yet. Every one that listens to it is impressed. Clear, no distortion at high levels. From what I have heard, the B&O system with navigation and MMI is different than non nav units. Not sure but I know mine with Navi is outstanding.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dutchy2.0t
From what I have heard, the B&O system with navigation and MMI is different than non nav units. Not sure but I know mine with Navi is outstanding.
Cars w/ nav use the MOST digital bus meaning the connection between the head unit and the amp is digital. I've read that some people claim they can distinguish between the digital and analog systems; I have no experience with both to compare.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think that the B&O has great staging and warmth. Sub 40hz resolution is poor but above that, response is smooth and linear. Like any car, there is a fair amount of engine noise, wind noise, etc. that requires turning it up to overcome. While parked, the system sounds phenomenal unless given a very demanding cd track. Case in point, low pipe organ tones are only resolved at a volume suitable for listening while parked. While in motion, those same low frequency horns are inaudible.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is untrue. The difference in Dynaudio drivers with VERY stiff suspensions that have manufacturer recommended break-in times of 200 hours show less change in their measurements than the difference between two units in the same production run.

Your OEM B&O speakers are not going to change. Over the course of a couple of weeks the only thing that changes is your brain. It adapts to the peaks and valleys and fills in any gap and cuts down peaks. This is why ALL high end home speakers require break-in, to reduce returns.
I have not a B&O.

Base has Dynaudio speakers? If I do, are they all the same spec with same break in period across all lines they make?

If I listened now and somehow did not use the car for 200 hrs while wife drove it, would I comprehend a different sound?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pdiddy26
I just don't like that dealer refuses me and tells me that everything is OK with B&O. I believe in case of working properly the sound is much better.
Still, how can you say it's not worth the money if the dealer refuses to service it? Don't assume that if you had the standard system then they could fix it. Sounds like the problem is your dealer, not the audio system. Try going to another dealer or call Audi directly.

Quick Reply: How is the Bang & Olufsen Sound System?