A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How is the Bang & Olufsen Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your taking the time to back it up with the link and quote.

I would have thought the if anything the speaker loosing up (rubber-foam) would be the " break in".

Can't say I have ever experienced the "Break in" myself. I get a new speaker, let it play for a day or two and just go about my business.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. I don't want you to think I was being contrary just to be contrary either. When I see an opportunity for people not to have to go through some of the long, and sometimes expensive, lessons I learned in this hobby, I can get a bit...overzealous.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm @ 4500 miles on my avant, & I'm enjoying my b&o more & getting used to the nuances.

I've learned to back off the bass & it's far better when you turn down the bass down to middle, or even less.

I'm ridding everything dead center, but about -2 on the bass and leave it there.

I came from a Bose system in my a6, & the b&o is more about crispness & clarity & less about bass & sheer volume.

Once your ears get use to it, you start to adjust your listening and appreciate what the b&o does best.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

In one word : accurate. Good recordings will sound excellent on the B&O, poor ones won't. I play lossless m4a and while it's still far from what I get at home through my B&W, it's damn good for a car - the best I have heard in any car I have been in. Also compared to similar options in BMW, Benz and Lexus, the B&O is a bargain (at least here in Japan).
Old 06-05-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bargamon
Very true that music is color and the quality is subjective.

A car vs a home theatre is a poor comparison.

So many factors.

I really never got to fully compare and never had a choice as I would not up for a prestige but would easily would have added $850 to a $44,000 car as a stand alone option.

Im a bit of an audiophile and have never sat in a system that totally left me satisfied. The automobile is a bad place to put a stereo system in.

I had an 07' 530i with the upgraded Harmon Kardan Logic 7 and it was a nice upgrade but really the added value is subjective to ones expectations. IN prevous cars, including Audi's with a "Bose" upgrade I would also say the same. I have auditioned many aftermarket systems with those premium components and to some extend the sum of nice pieces does not always add up. Maybe do certain things well but does not come together. Alpine and others have some nice calibrating systems now but the complexity and lack of warranty makes it undesirable to install in a new car. I think those that do put together a new system for the car are bias after spending the money and the pride of ownership taints their opinion. Nothing wrong with that BTW! Its why we do what we do.

back to the issue at hand. Is the B&O worth it?

stand alone option I would do it. Can one upgrade like that for less money with the fit and finish of factory, integrated and warranted? Nope. Can one upgrade better? For money anything is possible.

Is B&O worth it? I find it funny they are in the Car business because their reputation has always been very high fashion quality units that are almost "art" in its appearance. They add some visual content to the car. Pop up tweeters are a nice touch.

As a "Near" audiophile I must say the base system has a nice open sound and I think is pretty good. My speakers are far from broken in so my final judgement is still a few weeks away. They need 20-30 hours of operation to get broken in. It sounds a bit brassy and the bass is not tight yet.

I prefer a heavy sound with little treble. I am surprised how loud this unit can play! I tend to go two thirds on the base and woofer output and half way on the treble. Im preoccupied most of the time and just like a fine ambient sound instead of singing along to my favorites. That would have worked in my 20's.

so many options with sat radio, Jukebox and Ipods!
First listen to the best. Find Mark Levinson of Lexus, then play with the others.l realize the best will spoil you but you might as well. Perspective is vital. Like being at a classical Concert!
Then add the others cautiously. Use headphones of course,. like me add asubwoofer and amp, enjoy yourself!
Don't settle.Its your sound system.