A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How do you clean your wheels? (Stock 17" that comes with P+)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've always changed my pads asap to one that has low dust. I also wax the wheels - either mothers car wax and now using Wheel Wax which seems to be quite good. I use a pad on a stick from Griots
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 17" P+ standards also, and am really thinking about trading them out for some 5 spoke model--even for the 5 minutes that they stay clean I think the design is uninspired on the car.

Nonetheless, for now I spray them with Mother's wheel cleaner when I start to wash the car and let it sit, and after I rinse but before drying I use a soft bristled handle brush on the wheels. I don't do every spoke individually (life is too short), or spend too much time on the lugnut holes, or even dry them after, but the soft bristles get into most of the nooks and crannies and it looks fine when done.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i switched from a brush to a rag and it made my life so much simpler. it takes about the same amount of time to clean in between each spoke but it takes less effort.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I pee on them.

Actually, this little mit from Griot's works super fantastically well: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Richard also has some nice small micro-fiber mitts as well now. Have used the one above for many yrs now and it's still going strong. Use it with a couple of light sprays of wheel cleaner and a bucket of warm water. Use the bucket water to rinse off the wheels when done. Really doesn't take more than a couple of mins per wheel.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imanikehead
i switched from a brush to a rag and it made my life so much simpler. it takes about the same amount of time to clean in between each spoke but it takes less effort.
Damn! Nice friggin' avatar pic... Wow that's nice. Did I mention that's nice?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Damn! Nice friggin' avatar pic... Wow that's nice. Did I mention that's nice?
Now I ask you B8aruba, to be sure, do you really think imanikehead has a nice avatar ?

Last edited by Old Dog; 06-04-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Now I ask you B8aruba, to be sure, do you really think imanikehead has a nice avatar ?
Did I miss something here? Remember, I'm a bit ignorant being from the Northwoods and all. Damn it, this is going to hurt isn't it? Go ahead, someone edjumocate me or something...

Oh, wait a second. I get it, Garry. I was at work when I read your comment, in "professional serious mode" as my wife puts it. Yeah, I'll admit it, I was staring at imanikehead's avatar. It is a bit small, perhaps he can get a slightly larger avatar?

Last edited by B8aruba; 06-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Did I miss something here? Remember, I'm a bit ignorant being from the Northwoods and all. Damn it, this is going to hurt isn't it? Go ahead, someone edjumocate me or something...
Hahaha! No, I'm just yankin' your chain . After your post "Damn! Nice friggin' avatar pic... Wow that's nice. Did I mention that's nice?, I just wanted to keep you in the moment . Oh! and by the way I agree, it's a nice friggin' avatar. Even the Old Dog was panting there for a while .
Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel wax, boar's hair brush, and P-21 Gel Wheel Cleaner(best stuff in the world!).
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^+1 on the P21s gel. I haven't had to use mine much since about November when I applied Klasse SG to my wheels, but I can tell the SG isn't doing its thing as well as it used to, so I bust out the P21s gel if I go more than 2 weeks w/out cleaning my wheels.

Quick Reply: How do you clean your wheels? (Stock 17" that comes with P+)