A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How do you like the aluminum inlays?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like the aluminum inlays?

I am looking at an A4 and Q5. The Q5 has the wood inlays and the A4, from what I know only comes with the aluminum ones. How do you feel about the look and quality of the aluminum? Does it feel cheap at all? Scratch easily, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum is not my choice. Looks too much like a catering truck trim to me. The wood is available for a few hundred bucks. I have the wood and it has a much warmer feel than the aluminum. If you like the wood, and want a sedan, simply order it.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like only aluminum trim.Black leather and aluminum trim is the best!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I can appreciate the wood having a warmer look & feel, but since I'm planning a silver exterior and light grey interior I expect the aluminum to be the way I go.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The aluminum inlays definitely feel cheap to me. I was thinking of ordering such a config, but when I saw those inlays in person - no way! It looked so dull. I also like the lighter interiors better - if you haven't noticed, there are two colors. The plastic parts and the carpet/mats are darker than the leather. Add the dark walnut inlays, and is not that dull anymore.
I bought an IS250 three years ago and until then I didn't know that such configurations with two colors existed. In the Lexus the plastic parts and the carpet are black, which I like better than the A4, but nevertheless Audi is not far behind in terms of materials. Official reviewers say Audi is a benchmark for interiors - not exactly right. Go spend some time in a Lexus and we'll talk again. The IS is too cramped, no questioning that.

I'm sold on such light gray interiors with dark trims and wood inlays.
I'm definitely not into the black headliner and the Alcantara of the S-line - thank God there is a plain sport package.
I have 1 month left to wait for my A4. I hope I don't get disappointed when I get it.
I'm also getting the silver exterior and interior like Huey, but with the wood inlays.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fredlikes
I am looking at an A4 and Q5. The Q5 has the wood inlays and the A4, from what I know only comes with the aluminum ones. How do you feel about the look and quality of the aluminum? Does it feel cheap at all? Scratch easily, etc.?

Thanks.
Definitely gives it a cheap feel to me, but never really dug wood trim either. That's why I just vinyl wrapped mine.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

OK, you sold me on the dark wood trim (also planning the Sport pkg).

My wife's is250 interior is very nice. Audi's are a bit more Spartan.

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
The aluminum inlays definitely feel cheap to me. I was thinking of ordering such a config, but when I saw those inlays in person - no way! It looked so dull. I also like the lighter interiors better - if you haven't noticed, there are two colors. The plastic parts and the carpet/mats are darker than the leather. Add the dark walnut inlays, and is not that dull anymore.
I bought an IS250 three years ago and until then I didn't know that such configurations with two colors existed. In the Lexus the plastic parts and the carpet are black, which I like better than the A4, but nevertheless Audi is not far behind in terms of materials. Official reviewers say Audi is a benchmark for interiors - not exactly right. Go spend some time in a Lexus and we'll talk again. The IS is too cramped, no questioning that.

I'm sold on such light gray interiors with dark trims and wood inlays.
I'm definitely not into the black headliner and the Alcantara of the S-line - thank God there is a plain sport package.
I have 1 month left to wait for my A4. I hope I don't get disappointed when I get it.
I'm also getting the silver exterior and interior like Huey, but with the wood inlays.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is the light gray interior with the dark walnut inlays and the sport package:
http://www.carsdirect.com/research/f...90AUC012A01351

And here is the black interior with the aluminum inlays:
http://www.carsdirect.com/research/f...C10AUC017A1301

It's day and night. Note how much better the door looks with the gray leather insert standing out. Imagine how dull the black interior will look when dusty.

Last edited by gunsmoker; 10-26-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 for wood trim. I don't mind the aluminum but think the wood trim gives a nice rich/warm feel. My kid has put a few knicks in the aluminum and I'm not sure how - so I guess it dings somewhat easily. I hope the wood in my next A4 holds up better.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

I have the light gray interior with dark walnut inlays and it looks very good. The wood provides a contrast with the rest of the interior that the aluminum does not. I think aluminum works well with the black interior, but doesn't provide the necessary contract with the light gray or beige interiors.

Quick Reply: How do you like the aluminum inlays?