A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How do you stream music via internet on Iphone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stream music via internet on Iphone?

I have a 2009 A4 Premium Plus and have the Iphone cable. Works great for phone and MP3 slection on dash (though menu organization could be better). I would like to also stream internet music. Do I need a seperate MP3 cable to do this? Which one should I use? I assume if I replace the Iphone cable with the MP3 cable I will still have use of the phone through the bluetooth.

FYI for those who plan to updated their Iphone (mine is a 3G) to the most current operating software (version 4.0.**), I had to resync my phone to the car. Never needed to do this with previous upgrades, Pretty easy to fix, just go into settings on Iphone while in the car and add the pin number again.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Randy_31
I have a 2009 A4 Premium Plus and have the Iphone cable. Works great for phone and MP3 slection on dash (though menu organization could be better). I would like to also stream internet music. Do I need a seperate MP3 cable to do this? Which one should I use? I assume if I replace the Iphone cable with the MP3 cable I will still have use of the phone through the bluetooth.

FYI for those who plan to updated their Iphone (mine is a 3G) to the most current operating software (version 4.0.**), I had to resync my phone to the car. Never needed to do this with previous upgrades, Pretty easy to fix, just go into settings on Iphone while in the car and add the pin number again.
I believe you would need the AMI Bluetooth dongle that supports the A2DP profile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

or you can get the 3.5mm adapter for the ami
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My workaround was pretty simple - bring one or more MP3 files with silence into the ipod under "A" so it's the first thing on the list. play the files through MMI, repeat track or folder. Then, you can simply launch Pandora, NPR music, Last.FM, or whatever internet radio option you choose and you're set.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not sure I understand. Are you basically saying listen to a silent mp3 song, set to repeat and then multi task with Pandora or something like that?

Also, one other advantage I found with the new version on the Iphone. I no longer have that annoying loud ring when someone calls me. The ring now is the normal ring I have set up on teh Iphone.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nothdsw
My workaround was pretty simple - bring one or more MP3 files with silence into the ipod under "A" so it's the first thing on the list. play the files through MMI, repeat track or folder. Then, you can simply launch Pandora, NPR music, Last.FM, or whatever internet radio option you choose and you're set.
Great idea, thanks. I need to try it out.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure I understand. Are you basically saying listen to a silent mp3 song, set to repeat and then multi task with Pandora or something like that?
Exactly. It's the best workaround I've found. I was able to occasionally get the MMI interface to simply stop playing from the iPod feature but it wasn't consistent, so this way I know it's 100%. You can make a silent MP3 in GarageBand, etc, or simply pull it from an imported CD - lots of albums over the years have used blank 2-3 second tracks to fill in before a hidden bonus track. Either way, it works 100% since the MMI takes over the iPod feature. It's a little inconvenient but works.

You MAY also be able to work around it if you could force the iPod/iPhone to pause playback but I have iOS4 with multitasking disabled, so I'm not sure if the popup controls through multitask utility (dbl-click home, etc) may be another way around it.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are running version 4.0 of the iphone IOS, start playing a tune from iTunes, then while connected launch Pandora or Last.fm either works fine. It will stay playing now. Though the dash will show that the itunes song is still playing but the itunes time counter will pause. Works every time.