A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How does the 2010 A4 compare to the Infiniti G35X or G37X

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the 2010 A4 compare to the Infiniti G35X or G37X

Leaning towards staying with Audi but heard very good things about the infiniti G35X and G37X. Had 3 previous Audi's but my current one has had its fair share of problems so I'm considering selling it. Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

well the G37 is a lot faster.

I had a first get G35 coupe and well , that one had much lower gas milage, and was really noisy on the freeway. the new one has a nicer interior, but I've test driven the G37 sedan and it does have a not so great sounding engine note above 4000 rpm or so (same with the 370z which i also have tried out).

The interior though at least isnt **** poor. The first one now that honestyl I know better, I cant even really call a luxury car, it was definitely a "4 seat 350z" , the materials were not audi level etc.

I'm not in love with the new G37 coupe design or the sedan (i think the coupe is the worse of the two) twhich is why i went audi this time.

if you do get a G37 now, its a good choice, but I think you will definitely see areas where it is clearly just a nissan with leather.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hans007
if you do get a G37 now, its a good choice, but I think you will definitely see areas where it is clearly just a nissan with leather.
Thats what I thought about the G37. I eliminated it quickly from my list of cars I was looking at before I purchased my A4.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

The G is smaller, faster and quite a bit less expensive. It drives nice but it does accentuate the engine note so the Audi is noticeably quieter.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hwks1
The G is smaller, faster and quite a bit less expensive. It drives nice but it does accentuate the engine note so the Audi is noticeably quieter.
When I test drove one before getting my A4, I thought the G37 felt cramped and sounded like a high speed food processor at full throttle. Then I drove an M35 and it sounded like a bigger food processor. It's the little things....
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The G37X / G35X are NOT available with a manual transmission so I did not even bother to test drive them..
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The G37x was my other top choice at the end of my research, primarily due to the performance advantage over the others on my list. After a lengthy test drive however, I found that in the real world it just doesn't feel that much faster--the A4 is quicker than I expected it to be, and the Infiniti just doesn't feel like it has 100 more horsepower. It has to do so much downshifting (7-speed auto) before the power comes in that it mutes the sensation of speed.

To be fair, from a standing start or otherwise when the power does come in it's impressive, but the other driving dynamics aren't even close to the A4 (and I'm talking non-sport package)--there was no perception of AWD stability at all in the Infiniti, and in fact it felt very much like my '04 Acura TL (which was a very nice car, but didn't feel nearly as "buttoned down" as the A4). The choice was easy for me.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the G had a longer wheelbase -- what about it makes it smaller?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G37x was one of the cars I drove before buying a 2010 A4. It is way more powerful than the A4, but it seems determined to show you ALL THE TIME how powerful it is. So the slightest touch on the throttle on city streets seemed to make it downshift and roar. It was very difficult to modulate the throttle response. Also the A4 had sharper and more precise steering (though not as good as BMW 3-series).

Other dislikes:
1. Rear seat doesn't fold down.
2. The nav system and radio controls are a long reach for the driver's right hand--I thought that would get irritating pretty quickly.
3. Dealer experience: Both times I have visited our local Infiniti dealer, the salespeople didn't really want to take the time to show the features of the car, even when I asked for help and made it clear that I was a real live buyer. In contrast, both local Audi dealers were willing to give me as much time as I needed, to answer my questions, to ask me if I knew about certain features, and to tell me about those features if i wanted to know.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a G35 -> 335i -> A4.

The G is better on paper, but it is noisy and has no soul. The 335i is easily the fastest and most fun to drive, but it is expensive and thirsty around town. The A4 is comfortable with a nice balance of creature comforts, and with a good price.

- Mike

Quick Reply: How does the 2010 A4 compare to the Infiniti G35X or G37X