A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How long am I expected to wait for a dealer swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long am I expected to wait for a dealer swap?

As some of you may know, I am waiting to hear if the dealership I have been working with is able to secure the car I want. Here is the link to that thread
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24044645

Anyway, I thought I would ask if anyone had any idea what is involved in a dealer swap other then asking if the other dealership will trade. Is there a threshold of time involved? Do I have a right to know who the other dealership is? I had emailed and asked the sales person for the VIN#, but my questions are ignored. When I talked to him, he said he didn't know where it was coming from. Now I know another person does the locating, but I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have any idea what other dealership has the car.

I told them my final choice on options and color on Friday 10/8. According to my sales person, the guy at the other dealership that does trades was not in (wait a minute, he must know who the other dealership is if he knew the person wasn't in), so my request was looked at this Monday 10/11. It is now Wednesday 10/13 and I still have not heard anything. If I knew we could definately get the car, and it was only a matter of them picking it up, then I would not be so impatient. But I don't even know if they can get the car and no one is telling me anything. I called the sales person today, but he was out of the office until after 5pm today, so I called his cell and left a message there too asking him to call me. At this point, I feel like I am being ignored.

My husband says we should go pay the dealership a visit and say we are concerned they won't be able to do the trade. Maybe that's a good idea.......

Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

My guess they are afraid that you will go to the other dealership directly and buy from there. Shady, but then they probably have seen their share of inconsiderate customers. Some people would travel 100 miles one way to save $100 in a heartbeat.

Every time I was at a dealership (any brand) it took seconds for a salesman to pull a list of car inventory from other dealers. That had everything - options, dealer locations, most likely VINs (I didn't look specifically for that). The only reasons that I can think of they wouldn't give you details is the one above or just being lazy.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trlyka
Anyway, I thought I would ask if anyone had any idea what is involved in a dealer swap other then asking if the other dealership will trade. Is there a threshold of time involved? No
Do I have a right to know who the other dealership is? No, they are under no obligation to inform you.
I had emailed and asked the sales person for the VIN#, but my questions are ignored.I'm not sure why you are still wasting your time with this dealer...I can only imagine how they will be treating post sale...IF you get the car you want.

When I talked to him, he said he didn't know where it was coming from. Now I know another person does the locating, but I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have any idea what other dealership has the car.Correct. They know exactly whom they are getting it from but as stated in your previous question, they have zero obligation to tell you. For obvious reasons, it's not in their best interest.

I told them my final choice on options and color on Friday 10/8.Worst time to do this. When purchasing a new car, you always begin and end the process in the last few days of a given month if you want a good deal. This is when THEY become more inclined to do whatever it takes to make a sale even at a small loss if it boosts their monthly sales numbers with the manufacturer. That is what prioritizes who gets what allotment from the manufacturer. According to my sales person, the guy at the other dealership that does trades was not in (wait a minute, he must know who the other dealership is if he knew the person wasn't inAren't you answering your own question here?), so my request was looked at this Monday 10/11. It is now Wednesday 10/13 and I still have not heard anything. If I knew we could definately get the car, and it was only a matter of them picking it up, then I would not be so impatient. But I don't even know if they can get the car and no one is telling me anything. I called the sales person today, but he was out of the office until after 5pm today, so I called his cell and left a message there too asking him to call me. At this point, I feel like I am being ignored. Your impatience has given away your desperation for a new car, the worst thing you can give a dealer. Stop looking desperate, cancel your deposit post haste and find another dealer

My husband says we should go pay the dealership a visit and say we are concerned they won't be able to do the trade. Maybe that's a good idea.......Serve's no purpose whatsoever beyond further informing them of how desperate you are.

Any input is appreciated.
As far as the trade, there is no time limit for them. Also, the other dealer will NOT make the trade unless the current dealer has something to trade them which they feel they have a better chance of selling than the car in question. If the car sells at the other dealer before you find it, then the original dealer again has control as you won't even have a chance to find the car. At some point, you need to stop being impatient with them and start being impatient with yourself for not finding the car. I can only reiterate that this is also a bad time of the month to start and end negotiations. By having them, locate the car for you, you force yourself into a position of being a victim of "reciprocity". This is a well known and oft used psychological tactic by car dealerships. Find a copy of Robert Cialdini's book Influence: Science and Practice if you want to further understand the psychology employed against you the consumer at car dealerships as well as in everyday marketing.

You are being played pretty well by the dealership...by the time they tell you that the car sold already, they will have you where they want you and steer you towards another car (one they have). Stop getting played. Take control of the ball! Cancel your deposit and follow the tips I outlined above and in your other threads. On the present course, they will talk you into a (insert color here) car "just because" it's available NOW and you are tired of waiting for a new car.

At this point you have shot your chance at a good deal with the current dealership.

I've offered you what advice I am able to from my years of working for dealerships as well as manufacturers at the corporate level. I got out years ago and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm sure that there are websites dedicated to "outing" dealership strategies. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most people don't know this so I thought I'd warn you...

You might want to be aware that you are often being listened to when you are sitting in "the office/cubicle" and the salesman or salesmanager "has to step out". Some rooms are bugged other times it's a simple case of them putting the intercom on the phone on. They then sit and listen in the other room and have a great idea of what they have to negotiate with, how desperate you are, etc. Think this is just paranoia? It was common practice at dealership that I worked at years ago. This is business and you want to save money and they want to take it. They will stoop to any means to have "inside information" when negotiating with you. Very few people go to a dealership alone so it is normal to have a "private" discussion while you think you are alone.

A good rule of thumb is that when they step out of the room you do too. Go take a walk on the lot and talk there. Geez, I should put all these tips in a single thread for prospective buyers...
Old 10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I sat at a salesman's desk one morning and heard him arrange a dealer trade with one brief telephone call. I had the car that afternoon. My current Audi dealer offered to get a car to me that day if they could find what I wanted at a local dealer (there wasn't one -- I ordered a car from Germany).

It may be that you have case of target fixation, which is not a good thing for you. Always keep the capacity to walk away from an uncomfortable deal.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At this point I am ready to go somewhere else. It's complete disrespect that they string me along. I'm showing my face there tonight to see what they say.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian Cecil
I sat at a salesman's desk one morning and heard him arrange a dealer trade with one brief telephone call. I had the car that afternoon. My current Audi dealer offered to get a car to me that day if they could find what I wanted at a local dealer (there wasn't one -- I ordered a car from Germany).

It may be that you have case of target fixation, which is not a good thing for you. Always keep the capacity to walk away from an uncomfortable deal.
It started out innocent enough. I wasn't in a huge rush and I was taking my time deciding on options and color and trying to negotiate price. When this dealership gave a good price I was happy with, they said they found a car. So although I have been looking into buying since 10/2, I really made the decision on the car I wanted this past Friday. But still....once they had my paperwork/deposit, I barely heard from them. Before that, they called me a couple times a day wanting to know what my decision was.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not going down without a fight and I won't talk if left alone in a room
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Read DO NOT let Dealer "A" locate your new car from Dealer "B"... Don't do it! http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

I had a bad experience doing this with my 2009 A4. It was end of season and 09 inventory was almost gone but I thought I'd get a better deal. My dealer found a car matching the specs I wanted and had worked out an arrangement with the other dealer within a day. I put down a deposit on what seemed like a really good deal. During the 3 or 4 days it took to transport the car, I checked on the VIN and discovered it the car sat on a Jacksonville FL lot for almost a year. This freaked me out but things were already in motion and the dealer assured me it was a perfectly fine new car. When it arrived, I had the service dept check it out: they replaced tires, battery and wiper blades. I was also pretty nervous about the fluids sitting for so long.

I'm now swapping that car for a 2011 A4 just ordered from the factory. There was a problem of water leaking into the headliner - it spent so long in service that it qualified for replacement under the lemon law. I'm upset but not totally surprised about this issue - given a year sitting in FL sun ~20miles from the ocean.

So at least make sure you carfax the vin of the car in question.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by a4-bob
Read DO NOT let Dealer "A" locate your new car from Dealer "B"... Don't do it! http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

I had a bad experience doing this with my 2009 A4. It was end of season and 09 inventory was almost gone but I thought I'd get a better deal. My dealer found a car matching the specs I wanted and had worked out an arrangement with the other dealer within a day. I put down a deposit on what seemed like a really good deal. During the 3 or 4 days it took to transport the car, I checked on the VIN and discovered it the car sat on a Jacksonville FL lot for almost a year. This freaked me out but things were already in motion and the dealer assured me it was a perfectly fine new car. When it arrived, I had the service dept check it out: they replaced tires, battery and wiper blades. I was also pretty nervous about the fluids sitting for so long.

I'm now swapping that car for a 2011 A4 just ordered from the factory. There was a problem of water leaking into the headliner - it spent so long in service that it qualified for replacement under the lemon law. I'm upset but not totally surprised about this issue - given a year sitting in FL sun ~20miles from the ocean.

So at least make sure you carfax the vin of the car in question.
Thanks for the info, but I am getting a 2011. So it's brand new.

Quick Reply: How long am I expected to wait for a dealer swap?