A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How much does it cost to own a A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does it cost to own a A4?

I am really interested in owning a A4, I just graduated college and have a well paying job and would like to buy a new car soon. I am down to the A4 and the Acura TL. But my final question is the cost to repair and own a Audi. Ive heard some bad things about how costly it is for maintenance and repairs so could anyone give me an idea of how much it costs each yearly to own a Audi? TIA
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to worry or pay for anything the first four years or 50,000 miles. All you need to pay for is gas and oil. Don't let what people say scare you enough not to buy a car that you like. Most of the people here would agree that their cars have been great and mostly only have minor issues if any. There are others of course that haven't been as fortunate. If it gives you problems just trade it in after the warranty runs out. Good luck and don't get the Acura :-)
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 553 Likes on 372 Posts

Like any car, it depends on how much you drive. I don't drive many miles, and have spent around $100 on my car, excluding gas and insurance, in almost a year and a half. I don't expect substantial costs during the warranty period and am hoping that I can keep it for a years outside the warranty before repair costs become an issue.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Which car do you like more? These two vehicles are quite different. IMHO the classic design aesthetic on the Audi will outlast the spaceship look on the TL.

Have you been over to Acurazine? Reading through posts on both the TL and the A4 may be helpful.

Is there a large difference on upfront cost? If you are a manual transmission person Acura forces you into the most expensive trim package.

Like others have said, if you purchase Audicare your costs are pretty much taken care of for several years. That said, the cost of service after this period may be more on the Audi.. (I have not priced this stuff in several years)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the respones, I would be buying used so I don't think I would get the warranty package. I also drive a solid amount. I like the Audi a lot more because of the look and because of the AWD. But I have heard bad things about owning an Audi out of warranty. I would like to have this car for the next several years so I want something reliable and not too costly.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vdf23
Thank you for the respones, I would be buying used so I don't think I would get the warranty package. I also drive a solid amount. I like the Audi a lot more because of the look and because of the AWD. But I have heard bad things about owning an Audi out of warranty. I would like to have this car for the next several years so I want something reliable and not too costly.
Get a CPO. My first A4 purchase was a 3-year lease return CPO. I believe the remaining new car warranty transfers (whatever is left), and then AFTER that expires the CPO warranty kicks in and covers you for an additional 2 years or an additional 50,000 miles.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MDennison27
Get a CPO. My first A4 purchase was a 3-year lease return CPO. I believe the remaining new car warranty transfers (whatever is left), and then AFTER that expires the CPO warranty kicks in and covers you for an additional 2 years or an additional 50,000 miles.
That sounds like a great deal. Would you still recommend buying a CPO if I plan on owning it for 5 - 7 years? How much do you spend on maintenance generally?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vdf23
That sounds like a great deal. Would you still recommend buying a CPO if I plan on owning it for 5 - 7 years? How much do you spend on maintenance generally?
Others may have different opinions, but I think buying a CPO is a great value and a good way to get into a luxury brand car without paying for the huge price tag or dealing with a lot of depreciation. I think buying a CPO would be a good option for you to at least consider, just keep in mind that a 3-year lease return will only have 1 year of the Audi factory warranty (4yrs, 50k) left and then two years of the CPO warranty. That gives you 3 years of owning a car under warranty, where after that you have to pay for everything. You could also try and search for a 2-year lease return as a CPO, but those are harder to find.

I bought an '06 A4 as a CPO in August of '09 and the only money I put into it out of pocket between then and when I upgraded to my current car in November was two tires totaling a little over $200. Granted, I also bought the AudiCare with the CPO so oil and other things were covered. I haven't spent a dime in maintenance on the '12 yet, but I only have ~1,500 miles on it so far.