A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I found a new feature on my B8

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a new feature on my B8

When you pop the trunk open you can push it one notch further to sort of "lock" in in the open position so the wind does not blow it shut on your head. Just discovered this over the weekend. Perhaps I was the only one that did not know about this safety feature. Works rather well.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Didnt know that. What i did notice this weekend was that if you move the mirror controller to the right and set the car in reverse the mirror actually dips down to show the curb. Tips back up as you go out of reverse.
I read somewhere on the forums this feature was missing and could be set up in VAGcom. But having control over when you want it to dip and not is even better.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A4DK
Nice. Didnt know that. What i did notice this weekend was that if you move the mirror controller to the right and set the car in reverse the mirror actually dips down to show the curb. Tips back up as you go out of reverse.
I read somewhere on the forums this feature was missing and could be set up in VAGcom. But having control over when you want it to dip and not is even better.
This is a useful feature that I had on my 2001 Jetta back in the day. I've been spoilt with the backup camera and parking sensors though...with those I rarely look at the mirrors when parking.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyM
When you pop the trunk open you can push it one notch further to sort of "lock" in in the open position so the wind does not blow it shut on your head. Just discovered this over the weekend. Perhaps I was the only one that did not know about this safety feature. Works rather well.
Be careful with the trunk, I've already had one of those plastic hinge covers break and I've read other people having it too. Worst part is no one has figured out what causes it. Only good news is you can get it covered under warranty or just pay $10 for the part and do it yourself.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Excellent!

Funny thing is, today I had to back into a tight parking spot at the end of the parking lot at work, and there was a curb on the passenger's side of the car. I got out of the car several times to see how close I was to it. If only I had known about the mirror!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyM
That's pretty cool. I'll have to try it. So far my solution has been to wear a helmet, but I like yours better.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A4DK
...if you move the mirror controller to the right and set the car in reverse the mirror actually dips down to show the curb. Tips back up as you go out of reverse.
Hmmm... Ours has been tipping the mirror down since we got it and I thought it was automatic. Maybe it's just because we've left the controller on the right by accident. I'll have to check next time I'm in the car.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Great find. I doubt I would have ever noticed the extra detent without your post. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm,

Never noticed this since, if I pop the trunk and let the spring open it -- it swings open right into this detent position...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure enough... I put the mirror adjust left, no curb view. Put it right and voila! Curb view. Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: I found a new feature on my B8