A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I hate New England

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I hate New England

My car has barely seen a clean day since December. Whenever we get the slightest bit of snow the city puts damn salt on the roads and it seems to last for weeks. Even when the snow is melting, it picks up the residue of salt and passing cars and trucks splash it on your car. I've washed my car by hand a couple of times, but it seems the next day it is covered in salt again. My dark blue car always looks grey these days. I can't wait until spring!

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-19-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You hate New England salt, eh!

Originally Posted by A4Driver
My car has barely seen a clean day since December. Whenever we get the slightest bit of snow the city puts damn salt on the roads and it seems to last for weeks. Even when the snow is melting, it picks up the residue of salt and passing cars and trucks splash it on your car. I've washed my car by hand a couple of times, but it seems the next day it is covered in salt again. My dark blue car always looks grey these days. I can't wait until spring!.
I hear ya. We have the same problem here in Montreal (Quebec). Not only does your car exterior get all the salt stains, it wreaks havoc on the interior as well, as I’m sure you know. Salt stains in the carpet that, by the time spring arrives, are a think hard crust, salt residue on the winter mats and other interior surfaces as well.

Can you just imagine the environmental issues and concerns that all this salt is creating? One major problem they are starting to have here in recent years is with the structural integrity of overpasses and bridges. The salt is getting down to the superstructures and support beams and literally eating away at them. Even the concrete supports are starting to fall apart because of decades of exposure to salty runoff.

Enough already!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah! Why don't they put down kitty litter or something. LOL!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
My car has barely seen a clean day since December. Whenever we get the slightest bit of snow the city puts damn salt on the roads and it seems to last for weeks. Even when the snow is melting, it picks up the residue of salt and passing cars and trucks splash it on your car. I've washed my car by hand a couple of times, but it seems the next day it is covered in salt again. My dark blue car always looks grey these days. I can't wait until spring!
I live in your neck of the woods. It's why I chose silver. My ultimate solution is to leave it in the damn garage until everything is dry. Of course, easier to do when you work out of the home.
BTW, it wasn't any better when I lived in Colorado. Same crap only much worse. Usually.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  Snowman (3).jpg
Views: 292
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Can you just imagine the environmental issues and concerns that all this salt is creating? One major problem they are starting to have here in recent years is with the structural integrity of overpasses and bridges. The salt is getting down to the superstructures and support beams and literally eating away at them. Even the concrete supports are starting to fall apart because of decades of exposure to salty runoff.

Enough already!!!
it's because of the average driver who don't have a f$!$!#$! clue about what to do when it's slippery. All they'll do is sue the city for improper road maintenance so it's cheaper for the city to use salt. Calgary (I think) doesn't use salt but puts sand instead.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I hate salt

Originally Posted by mart242
it's because of the average driver who don't have a f$!$!#$! clue about what to do when it's slippery. All they'll do is sue the city for improper road maintenance so it's cheaper for the city to use salt. Calgary (I think) doesn't use salt but puts sand instead.
What does our nation's capital use?

GO CANADA GO. I BELIEVE in our men's hockey team .
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default salt is pure evil.

They use it because their forefathers used it.

Its fardeking stupid. They don't use it out west and people get around just fine.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
What does our nation's capital use?

GO CANADA GO. I BELIEVE in our men's hockey team .
What do they use? Even more salt than Montreal!

http://www.thestar.com/article/286504
TORONTO NUMBERS
Salt used: 125,000 tonnes per year

OTTAWA NUMBERS
Salt used: Ottawa is the largest user of road salt in the country – between 140,000 and 190,000 tonnes annually.

MONTREAL NUMBERS
Salt used: 120,000 tonnes of road salt annually, and 13,000 tonnes of pebbles
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tonnes of salt

Originally Posted by mart242
What do they use? Even more salt than Montreal!

http://www.thestar.com/article/286504
TORONTO NUMBERS
Salt used: 125,000 tonnes per year

OTTAWA NUMBERS
Salt used: Ottawa is the largest user of road salt in the country – between 140,000 and 190,000 tonnes annually.

MONTREAL NUMBERS
Salt used: 120,000 tonnes of road salt annually, and 13,000 tonnes of pebbles
OMG

Quick Reply: I hate New England