A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I hate SUVs with bad tires (little bitty non-audi crash)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate SUVs with bad tires (little bitty non-audi crash)

...and drivers. (Me)

Got up to tahoe in a good friend's 4runner this weekend -- needed the cargo space and he needed a car sitter -- and kissed a guardrail coming down from alpine meadows today. Made the choice to slow down after seeing a bit too much ice and then a few seconds later, found myself slipping into a lane with a plow approaching. Probably should have gassed it a bit, and corrected a bit sooner, but the right hand corner tucked into a guardrail with snow on it lightly, and spun me to 270 (90 to the road). I'll need to get my friend a new bumper.

Let me take full responsibility for driving like a d*ck in cold, knowing ahead of time the tires were all season, with no sign of sips left, and rubber old (slight cracking). Then let me complain about the tires and the car.

OK, I just have no faith in this car's ability to do anything. I could have maybe corrected, if I had any freaking sense of where the wheels were pointed in this car, and man, I DID slow down, but apparently not enough for the a) weight b) tires that were even worse than I thought they would be, despite the friend's assurance they were fine in tahoe. Fine if you insist on going 20mph everywhere!

I drove out of there and let my friend know. I'll fix it for 1000 bucks or so, I think.

But I think the bottom line here is be careful, all, and yes, if you go from having a B6 S4 with full winters to a crappy SUV with crappy tires, you need to slow down to rates not even 1/3 of the usual speeds on given roads, not the 2/3 I was trying to get away with. Or something like that. We are spoiled as audi guys on the white stuff, like I guess the x5/x6 owners are, and the subaru owners are. (Of course, only in the case of having proper tires -- DOWN WITH THE ALL SEASON RUBBER.)

I love my friend like a brother, have known him for 15 years, but I hate his car. And secretly, I feel terrible that I feel relieved that this did not happen in either the B6 S4 I am selling which is at home in the garage, or the new b8 avant coming in a month. I feel almost worse about this than actually crashing the car.

Thank you for reading and indulging in my little sob story.