A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

IE: Audi A4 S 2009 2.0 TSFI severe oil consumption/burning

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 04:30 PM
Zax
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IE: Audi A4 S 2009 2.0 TSFI severe oil consumption/burning

Hello, I just got my first car Audi A4 S-Line 2.0 TSFI 2009 (B8) five days ago and I already put 2L of oil after it told me it was on the min 3 times. Roughly 1L/<100km. While I was viewing the car I saw that there were no oil leaks on the spot the car was kept, I don't have oil spots where I keep the car so the oil is not leaking. Yesterday I put the car up and checked the Intercooler pipe (the right one) and it wasn't filled with oil so it's not the turbo. A father's friend of mine who has experience with cars pointed out that my exhaust pipes were black, and there's no problem with the catalytic converter and the car is petrol. What I found out is that the Oil Separator (PCV) could be the issue but I don't know if that would get to this level of oil burned. Or as my father pointed out the pistons rings on the engine.

Car maintenance has to be done as it's hitting 10k soon so oil and air filter as oil change have to be done which I will do next week but I don't think that will solve the issue.

Is there someone who had the same experience as me? What advice could you give me?
If I put the car through a compression test will I find out are the pistons the issue?
If the piston rings have to be replaced should I do it or should I just sell the car? Will it be very expensive?
Should I replace the PCV anyway and see if that helps with my issue?

Thanks to everyone who read that, sorry if there are any mistakes I'm not a mechanic and I don't have a lot of experience with cars.
Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
Thanks again.
K.B.

Same post in: s4-b8-platform-discussion
Old 09-25-2022, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 294 Likes on 237 Posts

Do a search of this forum for oil issues - that was a major problem for the early B8 models and Audi replaced many sets of oil control rings. A compression test could help you determine which if not all cylinders but high probability that rings are needed for all cylinders.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:05 AM
Zax
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2022, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

firstly you bought a car and the engine is done .. dump it or return it if you can .

compression test will tell you zero as it is the oil control rings not the compression rings.

Engine has to come out to do this work and audi quotes 8-10K in North America to do this work.

newer engines are showing issues so is not limited to older cars. ( see my sig )

it will be VERY expensive to have someone fix if you do not have the facilities or know how to do it yourself.

The 09 engine was the biggest dog engine of them all. the first of its kind with all sorts of issues, not just the oil burning. my recommendation is dump this car.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 365 Likes on 282 Posts

You can check the PCV valve; but, extreme oil consumption on the 2009 - 2012 engines is a known issue. See the link for details on the US class action law suit for high oil consumption on the CAEB engine. Since you are using l and km I expect you are not in the US and this particular class action does not apply to you; but, provides useful information.
Audi Defective 2.0-Liter Turbocharged Engine and Pistons Class Action (classactionsreporter.com)
A search will reveal lots of information with respect to high oil consumption in the 2009 and later engines.

As an observation, if you were burning oil at the rate of 1l per 100km, you should have been leaving a trail of blue smoke that would make the smoke screen from 007's Aston Martin look mild. Since you have only had the car for 5 days, is there any form of buyers remorse legislation where you live? If so, I would be inclined to exercise that option and get your money back.

There are rebuild kits available to address the oil consumption issue
Audi Piston Kit - 06H107065DMKT | FCP Euro
The more complete kits include new pistons and con rods because part of Audi's solution to the problem involved a different ring design which required a different piston (and rod). Shop around and you can find slightly different prices for the package. Shop around even more and you can find kits that include a new block really cheap (around $1000); but, they are from China. You get to decide whether you want to risk using one of those kits.

If you can't return the car for a refund, assess the condition of the rest of the car. There are likely other problems that will need addressing (high oil consumption tends to damage O2 sensors). Even if you can do your own engine rebuild work, the total cost of the restoration work will likely approach the resale value of the car. It may be better to sell the car and take a loss and let somebody else try and fix it.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:16 PM
Zax
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to all of you, today i checked the pcv valve and it broke straight out… so there was a home in it and now the whole thing is broken.

There was oil inside I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be there.

I will change the PCV and probably sell the car if there’s no change in the oil consumption.

Also, no there isn’t big smoke behind me even in the night rpms never gets bad with smoke.

Thanks again!
K.B.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No you will not see smoke at all . the cats on these cars are outstanding and it will do nothing to your O2 sensor. When i rebuilt mine cat and sensor was like new and i had same consumption as you ... you will spit out a lot of water mixed with carbon though so dont back up against anything white.

if your PCV broke when you took it out you may have a chance its just that , just make sure you replace like with like .. if its black top replace with a black top. if its a white top replace with white top.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Catalytic converters work on gaseous hydrocarbons, CO and nitrogen oxides. Engines that burn oil usually create ash / soot / oily soot which are fine particulates and are not intentionally controlled by a 3 way converter on cars that burn gasoline. Catalytic converters typically run hot, 500F to 1000F depending on design and operating conditions. That temperature may be enough to complete the combustion of the soot / oily soot; but, that is not the intended function and the combustion of additional products on the surface of the catalyst may elevate the temperature leading to early failure. If you do a search on the effect of high oil consumption on 3 way catalysts the general consensus is that unburnt oil will eventually poison the cats surface. On the Audi, the turbocharger's exhaust turbine and the higher upstream exhaust temperatures may actually be facilitating the combustion of the oil products and reducing the visible exhaust plume - much like the thermal reactors that were used for emission control on some engines in the '70s.

I know that the application data for the Bosch LSU wideband sensors definitely states that oil present in the exhaust stream and other contaminants lead to shortened sensor life. I have not looked for the application data for narrow bands so perhaps they are not subject to the same loss of life. If it is in a combustible form, the presence of oil in the exhaust gases will skew the O2 sensor output making it look like the fuel mixture is rich causing the ECU to reduce injector PW; but, that is a different problem than actual deterioration of the sensor.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

car has 133K miles on it has been burning since 90 . rebuilt at 122 absolutely no issues with cats or o2 sensor, and this has never reported and car has never smoked its entire life , take it for what it is i guess.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can't argue with hands on experience. If you are not generating any O2 sensor or catalytic converter efficiency DTCs then they must be working.

Quick Reply: IE: Audi A4 S 2009 2.0 TSFI severe oil consumption/burning