A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

If you have OEM Goodyear LS2s, stay out of the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default If you have OEM Goodyear LS2s, stay out of the snow!

Because they have horrible traction in the snow! I made a right hand turn at 5mph this evening and then got the dreaded tail kick out where the brakes don't do anything. Kissed the curb and took a chunk out of the lip of the driverside rear rim, rest of the car appears fine. Going to get it replaced with an alignment check on Monday. Be careful out there folks!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are terrible in slick conditions. Wear great though. I've gotten almost 35k out of the set on my B7 and still have tread!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
They are terrible in slick conditions. Wear great though. I've gotten almost 35k out of the set on my B7 and still have tread!
That long eh? I might be replacing these before that. Heck, the crappy Continental ContiProContacts I had on the Jetta were better in the snow! Those lasted a long time too. I guess I'll be driving the other quattro in the meantime. Hopefully the dealer can get a rim quickly and nothing else is wrong.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any opinions on how the OEM Pirellis are in the snow? Played around some last night (Grocery store parking lot had two abandoned carts, *perfect* for figure 8's) but this is my first AWD so nothing to compare to. Slid around some but never felt like I lost control, worlds apart from FWD.

Wanted so bad to go out today, but saw enough people getting stuck that I decided against it. That and the 3' pile of snow from the plow coming through that I have yet to move, blocking the driveway... looks like only about a foot on the roads, though. How deep is too deep?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very pleased...

I've been thrilled so far with the OEM All Season Pirellis on my 2010 A4. I live in Upstate, NY. Plenty of snow and ice. This is the best AWD I have experienced. I was all set to buy snow tires- assuming that I would want them. I'm in no hurry anymore.

-- plA4keeps

Originally Posted by cparson
Any opinions on how the OEM Pirellis are in the snow? Played around some last night (Grocery store parking lot had two abandoned carts, *perfect* for figure 8's) but this is my first AWD so nothing to compare to. Slid around some but never felt like I lost control, worlds apart from FWD.

Wanted so bad to go out today, but saw enough people getting stuck that I decided against it. That and the 3' pile of snow from the plow coming through that I have yet to move, blocking the driveway... looks like only about a foot on the roads, though. How deep is too deep?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I been quite surprised at the purchase the LS2's have. Mind you they arent Nokians but they have been better than I expected for an all season. It must have something to do with the asr/esp too. The ride isn't bad on choppy roads either.
I have since put off snows for now as well.
Have fun in the snow!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well the spare tire is on the car. At least changing the tire was uneventful. No visible suspension damage or loose parts, although I did have to tap the wheel loose off the hub due to galvanic corrosion (common problem with alloy rims on steel wheel hubs).
Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will have to look as I am pretty sure I have the Goodyears. I am absolutely impressed with this car in snow (quattro). I drove through all kinds of conditions with absolute confidence yesterday. We had to drive up a totally unplowed road with a few tire tracks to follow, then turn around in an unshoveled driveway. Not even close to getting stuck. This car is a billy goat! Unbelievable!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Recently sold my LS2 after replacing them with X-Ice2. Hop[e the guy wasn't gonna put them on his CTS-V like he said during the winter.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Peakster
I will have to look as I am pretty sure I have the Goodyears. I am absolutely impressed with this car in snow (quattro). I drove through all kinds of conditions with absolute confidence yesterday. We had to drive up a totally unplowed road with a few tire tracks to follow, then turn around in an unshoveled driveway. Not even close to getting stuck. This car is a billy goat! Unbelievable!
I had no problem moving. The main issue was loss of traction in a low speed turn, although the stability control system likely had a role in Saturday's incident. In my other quattro (which has zero electronic gadgets), I could have easily recovered from that situation, but in this car the ESP system cut throttle when it detected the slide. This car is also noticeably tail happy, likely because of the 40:60 power split.

Quick Reply: If you have OEM Goodyear LS2s, stay out of the snow!