A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I'm going backwards (ode to the A4).

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
I completely understand the attraction of faster and stronger. It seems like that was a lifelong quest for me. For now I've managed to break the spell. It's a breath of fresh air. The novelty of super power wears off. And then you're left with a car that's too easy to drive fast around town to be fun to drive fast. Of course you can track it every weekend. But that's another matter entirely. I'm talking strictly around town driving. Heck, I think we can even include road trips when the gas mileage is a real boon.

A lot of the B8 A4's appeal is its handling. Audi did a great job when they moved that front axle forward relative to the motor. The car has a very nimble and responsive feel when slinging around corners and holding on fast interstate sweepers. It handles better than the heavy S8 and heavy S5 cab. I test drove a 3.0T A6 recently. And even that car seems to noticeably push in corners when compared to my Avant. Much to my dealer's chagrin, I'm really digging the lighter smaller Audi quattros.
You've nailed it man! I love my '09 Avant. I have other cars with more power but I started tracking the Avant to see how it handled at the limit. I was so impressed with not only the balance but the low cost of replacement parts relative to my higher HP cars. And there is some sick satisfaction I derive from running down much more powerful cars at the track, in my "grocery getter".
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A lot of the B8 A4's appeal is its handling. Audi did a great job when they moved that front axle forward relative to the motor. The car has a very nimble and responsive feel when slinging around corners and holding on fast interstate sweepers. It handles better than the heavy S8 and heavy S5 cab. I test drove a 3.0T A6 recently. And even that car seems to noticeably push in corners when compared to my Avant. Much to my dealer's chagrin, I'm really digging the lighter smaller Audi quattros.
I guess this explains why the Avant appealed to me so much. My other car is a Miata
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To that end I just ordered a 2013 Glacier White Metallic/Prestige/S-Line 6 speed manual A4.
Nice!! My '13 Scuba Blue/Prestige/S-Line/6MT is almost here (on order since May and currently floating off the coast of Nova Scotia). Not many of them with those options in the US I imagine!

Just curious, do you know what style wheels are coming on yours (and mine), and also if it gets the flat-bottom steering wheel? The US ordering guide from the spring is inconsistent with the Audi US site, and I haven't been able to find much info on that.