A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Inconsistent handfree bluetooth connection with Galaxy S 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inconsistent handfree bluetooth connection with Galaxy S 2

Does anyone else have a B8 with MMI 3G with a Galaxy S 2 (Android) phone that connects fine sometimes, but other times, requires me to manually recycle (turn off, wait, turn back on) the Bluetooth switch on the phone for the Audi to connect to it?

I really want this to "just work" but it's not working as expected. Looking for hints and tips. Any info appreciated. Thx.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bump! Really? Am I the only person whose smartphone doesn't connect to his car consistently?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a problem with the phone itself. I have the same phone and have found that if I do not mess with the bluetooth settings (e.g. leave it on all day) It does not have a problem connecting, but if I cycle the BT off and then switch it back on when I get in the car it does not always connect. I have had other phones and have not had any connection issues, (Palm Pre, Iphone, Blackberry). Hopefully they will fix this when ICS comes out.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same problem with mine. I have the same set-up in the car as you, but my Galaxy was really bad about dropping the BT. I leave my BT on full time and there were too many times where it just would not connect. I could manually reconnect, but not auto. I finally moved on to another Samsung model and no issues whatsoever. It's the phone.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which model did you change to? I'm on a two-year contract, so maybe a different ROM would solve my problems?

I actually have never drop the connection. It's just that it doesn't always connect when I start the car...
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had the same issue with a Samsung Droid. Did a software update on the the phone and it's been better since. You may want to try a software update to see if that helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same problem here. It is the phone. My iPhone 3GS always worked flawlessly with the car. My Galaxy S II does not. I found (like the guy above) that if i leave BT turned on 24/7 then it connects every time and only dropped once in the last few months. If i try turning off the BT on the phone until i get into the car, it doesn't want to connect when I turn BT on. Leaving BT on just doesn't seem to make any difference in battery life, so i don't care if it's on.

The two other things that annoy me with the phone vs. iPhone are 1) the car doesn't use the Galaxy S II assigned ringtone like it did with my iPhone. Rather, it uses the car default which is annoying and scares the crap out of me every time. 2) when the phone is in use thru the car, the screen lights up and unlocks which can cause unintentional inputs. The iPhone does not.

Oh well.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does not surprise me that the A4 is designed primarily with the iPhone in mind. And the GS II didn't exist when the A4 was developed, so there's that too.

However, I must say that Bluetooth should be better/more universal by now. This does not happen with WiFi. Also, I leave my BT on 24/7, but I still have about a 60% success rate with the phone and the A4 connecting when I enter the car. And when I switch BT off and then on again, it connects with the Audi 95% of the time.

So my issues seem (somehow) to be slightly different than your issues....???
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Bump! Really? Am I the only person whose smartphone doesn't connect to his car consistently?
I found this fix on the Android forum last week and now my Skyrocket connects 100% of the time (so far 5 days). Previously, it was around 60%.

"What I did was to remove the widget that turn on/off, wifi, BT, GPS, etc. I activate the BT from the notification swipe down finger gesture. i have no more issues so far. I have not have a passcode on the phone, so I do not know if I will encounter the same issue. Just my 2 cents"

It seems that this 3rd party widget, called "Power savings", must have been interfering with the connection. Delete the widget and see if it works for you. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, well I'll try this (since nothing else has worked). However, the power savings widget on my phone was stock (not 3rd party) so I'm not convinced we have the same problem. But, time will tell!

Thx.
Jon

Originally Posted by dwarda4
I found this fix on the Android forum last week and now my Skyrocket connects 100% of the time (so far 5 days). Previously, it was around 60%.

"What I did was to remove the widget that turn on/off, wifi, BT, GPS, etc. I activate the BT from the notification swipe down finger gesture. i have no more issues so far. I have not have a passcode on the phone, so I do not know if I will encounter the same issue. Just my 2 cents"

It seems that this 3rd party widget, called "Power savings", must have been interfering with the connection. Delete the widget and see if it works for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent handfree bluetooth connection with Galaxy S 2