A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Input Needed: 2009 A4 w/ 58K Still Burning Oil After Replacing Top Half of the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Needed: 2009 A4 w/ 58K Still Burning Oil After Replacing Top Half of the Engine

About two months ago my A4 broke down. Long story short, AoA stepped in and covered replacement of the top half of the engine (I was outside of my warranty). The car is driving fine but it is burning oil very rapidly (i.e. 500m/qt). Something is obviously still wrong with the car.

Since I don't want to pay the extend the warranty, I'd like to get into a new car and need to answer the following questions:
Should I try to trade the car in "as is" knowing there's an issue? Or should I try to bring the car back to the dealership to get it fixed before I start looking to get something else?

I've read about similar issues others have had with burning oil and am aware of the TSB. However, I'm not sure how serious it is and how much of a risk I'm taking if I need to drive it for a few more weeks before I get something new.

I'd like to move as quickly as possible on this and would really appreciate input on the question.

PS, If anyone is interested in what caused the original breakdown, this is what I know:
-Cylinder 1 was misfiring; replaced the fuel injector.
-Replaced injector assembly and retested; Discovered low compression, traced to cylinder 1 valves not sealing.
-Replaced cylinder head assembly; Retested and found to be functioning as designed.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by giantsyanks
About two months ago my A4 broke down. Long story short, AoA stepped in and covered replacement of the top half of the engine (I was outside of my warranty). The car is driving fine but it is burning oil very rapidly (i.e. 500m/qt). Something is obviously still wrong with the car.

Since I don't want to pay the extend the warranty, I'd like to get into a new car and need to answer the following questions:
Should I try to trade the car in "as is" knowing there's an issue? Or should I try to bring the car back to the dealership to get it fixed before I start looking to get something else?

I've read about similar issues others have had with burning oil and am aware of the TSB. However, I'm not sure how serious it is and how much of a risk I'm taking if I need to drive it for a few more weeks before I get something new.

I'd like to move as quickly as possible on this and would really appreciate input on the question.

PS, If anyone is interested in what caused the original breakdown, this is what I know:
-Cylinder 1 was misfiring; replaced the fuel injector.
-Replaced injector assembly and retested; Discovered low compression, traced to cylinder 1 valves not sealing.
-Replaced cylinder head assembly; Retested and found to be functioning as designed.
You tell the dealer it's burning this much oil now and it wasn't before the repair they did and they will probably fix it free of charge. If you are sick of this and you want a new car, trade it in with the dealer, they will most likely sell it as a CPO with a sufficiently long warranty and when the new owner complains, the dealer will fix it free of charge.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Speak with the dealer about the tsb. Your car needs new pistons and rings. If you can't get it fixed get Audi's zone manager involved. You have nothing to lose.