A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Installing A5 Wheels in A4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have the 19" sport option not SLine -- the tire size is 255 x 35 x 19.

The wheels fit, of course and the suspension is lower giving the appearance of road hugging when viewed in profile.

SLine lite?
I don't have S line or Sport. Will it make a difference with 19" 255 ?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The overall rolling diameter of the tire will be very close but.....

When you increase the wheel diameter, it requires a decreased side wall to maintain the overall rolling diameter.

Your actual wheel gap will be the same but it will appear much bigger because when you look at the wheels from the side it will appear as if you have a very thin sidewall where the tire touches the ground and a very large dark area between the upper edge of the rim and the upper peak of the wheel opening.

From a distance, it appears as if you have a thin rubber band on the bottom and a huge gap at the top.

That is one of the prime reasons most folks who seriously upsize their rims also lower the cars suspension. It helps eliminate that illusion.

Last edited by Bob58; 05-19-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for explaining. As long as the wheels don't touch anything. I'm fine with it.

Originally Posted by Bob58
When you increase the wheel diameter, it requires a decreased side wall to maintain the overall rolling diameter.

Your actual wheel gap will be the same but it will appear much bigger because when you look at the wheels from the side it will appear as if you have a very thin sidewall where the tire touches the ground and a very large dark area between the upper edge of the rim and the upper peak of the wheel opening.

From a distance, it appears as if you have a thin rubber band on the bottom and a huge gap at the top.

That is one of the prime reasons most folks who seriously upsize their rims also lower the cars suspension. It helps eliminate that illusion.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure about that factory 225/55/17 size? Sounds wrong.

There's so much misinformation in this thread... really kind of surprising.

If we look at the actual numbers, your supposed 225/55/17 setup has a diameter of 26.74" while the factory 19" setup of 255/35/19 has a diameter of 26.02"

I'm pretty sure the actual 17" setup is more like 225/50/17 which has a diameter of 25.85", so going to the 19" setup means the overall diameter of the setup increases a few percent. Double check that sidewall because a 225/55/17 setup on the B8 platform would be very surprising as it's quite a bit larger than the largest known setup on this vehicle.

Personally I don't understand the assertion that this change would make your car look like it's a 4x4. If anything, it's a slightly larger setup overall and would fill more of the gap. It may make you drool for the next upgrade and want to lower the car, but personally I wouldn't skip the upgrade for this reason.

Good luck!

- Jason
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I totally agree on the misinformation... I've typed out 2 different responses that never saw the light of day, merely because I lost my will to address each incorrect statement. The original poster need only to read your post. (hint hint)
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ops, You're correct about my current wheel size. I made a mistake. Its 225/50/R17.

According to this guy http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ghlight=s5+hre

S5 OEM Wheels are perfect fit.

Originally Posted by JasonR-NYC
Are you sure about that factory 225/55/17 size? Sounds wrong.

There's so much misinformation in this thread... really kind of surprising.

If we look at the actual numbers, your supposed 225/55/17 setup has a diameter of 26.74" while the factory 19" setup of 255/35/19 has a diameter of 26.02"

I'm pretty sure the actual 17" setup is more like 225/50/17 which has a diameter of 25.85", so going to the 19" setup means the overall diameter of the setup increases a few percent. Double check that sidewall because a 225/55/17 setup on the B8 platform would be very surprising as it's quite a bit larger than the largest known setup on this vehicle.

Personally I don't understand the assertion that this change would make your car look like it's a 4x4. If anything, it's a slightly larger setup overall and would fill more of the gap. It may make you drool for the next upgrade and want to lower the car, but personally I wouldn't skip the upgrade for this reason.

Good luck!

- Jason
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok, here is my car. a b6 ultrasport with 19in rs4 rims. obviously the ultrasport had lowered suspension. i know this isnt a b8 but i can promise you if you put these rims on a non ultrasport b6 it would not look like this. im not saying dont do it by any means. it might look badass but it will give your car a raised appearance. good luck, post some pics!
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since I think no one has actually mentioned, the offsets are different. I'm pretty sure the A5 wheels have a lower offset than the A4 (+35mm vs. +43mm if memory serves). A local dealer swapped the A5 19" wheels onto an A4 Premium car and I thought it looked awesome, but the wheels were much closer to the outer edge of the wheel well than stock. It looked like it was running spacers which looked awesome to my eye.

Just something to be aware of as it's not identical to the A4 19" wheel. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective.

- Jason
Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Viper_080
ok, here is my car. a b6 ultrasport with 19in rs4 rims. obviously the ultrasport had lowered suspension. i know this isnt a b8 but i can promise you if you put these rims on a non ultrasport b6 it would not look like this. im not saying dont do it by any means. it might look badass but it will give your car a raised appearance. good luck, post some pics!
What's your tire size. Do they rub ?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JasonR-NYC
Since I think no one has actually mentioned, the offsets are different. I'm pretty sure the A5 wheels have a lower offset than the A4 (+35mm vs. +43mm if memory serves). A local dealer swapped the A5 19" wheels onto an A4 Premium car and I thought it looked awesome, but the wheels were much closer to the outer edge of the wheel well than stock. It looked like it was running spacers which looked awesome to my eye.

Just something to be aware of as it's not identical to the A4 19" wheel. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective.

- Jason
What Wheel size do you have on your 09 A4 2.0 6MT Sedan Quattro S-Line ?

Quick Reply: Installing A5 Wheels in A4 ?