A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

instrument cluster plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster plastic

Hey, anyone else notice this is plastic, and is a scratch magnet.. I just noticed that there are swirls all over it. Any have any ideas on why this is?/ new a4 avant- only 2 weeks old. thanks and sorry for the ocd..
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so does anyone else see the swirls in the sunlight--or am i crazy..
Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

No swirls but a lot of cracking noise whenever it heats with the sun...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by benoa
No swirls but a lot of cracking noise whenever it heats with the sun...
Hmm- im gonna call the dealer see if they will replace.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I don't know about scratches but that's the weak point of the interior

I'll chime in by saying that I would try to not touch that trim piece if at all possible. It's high up on the dash, so there is no compelling reason for the driver or passenger to run their hands all over it.

I am a little surprised that there are no aftermarket or OEM replacement pieces in wood, brushed aluminum or carbon fiber. Personally I would pick wood trim to match wood trim in the rest of the interior. The only interior where the painted plastic sort of works is the S-line where it blends in somewhat with the brushed aluminum trim. I think it definitely does not work with a beige interior at all.

Last edited by Bada Bing; 06-03-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toddm1234
Hey, anyone else notice this is plastic, and is a scratch magnet.. I just noticed that there are swirls all over it. Any have any ideas on why this is?/ new a4 avant- only 2 weeks old. thanks and sorry for the ocd..
Just to clear it up- im talking about the clear plastic cover over the instruments. anyone had dealers replace?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I agree the clear instrument cluster plastic scratches very easily. I made the mistake of gently running a Swiffer (not the towel but one of those 360-degree fuzzy ones) across it and it left fine swirl marks. The dealer probably wipes across it on every service visit too.

I'm just going to use compressed air to blow dust off it from now on, but eventually I'll have to find something to clean it with that is safe for the finish. If the plastic is really that soft, I would think it polish pretty easily too.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Yes, I agree the clear instrument cluster plastic scratches very easily. I made the mistake of gently running a Swiffer (not the towel but one of those 360-degree fuzzy ones) across it and it left fine swirl marks. The dealer probably wipes across it on every service visit too.

I'm just going to use compressed air to blow dust off it from now on, but eventually I'll have to find something to clean it with that is safe for the finish. If the plastic is really that soft, I would think it polish pretty easily too.
Ah thats it- i used one of those swiffers too- and now swirls. i used to use them on my q7- that had glass not plastic.
Im gonna call the dealer - they must have something that polishes it out.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner and or
Plexus plastic cleaner and microfiber cloth

www.plexusplasticcleaner.com

I use the Plexus on the clear bra and other plastic with excellent results.Its verry slick and doesn't streak when it gets wet. Cockpit premium leaves a clean matte finish that doesn't attract dust and leave a bubble gum scent.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6

I have posted before that I think the B8 is pretty crappy looking compared to the B7. This scratchable instruyment lens is one area I strongly agreee is bad. The entire dash is cheap looking. Add to that the loss of a lot of little niceties and I am increasingly convinced I will not replace my '08 A4 with a B7 when the lease is up in a year. Simple things like the trim around the console where the wood or aluminum trim can easily get scratched has a nice textured soft vinyl protective rim with the trim surrounding the shifter recessed where it is "safe" on the B7; with the B8 I believe the wood trim along the console sides will get scratched by passengers especially, since their legs and arms are not involved with driving the car. The exterior is so odd to me with multiple seams and creases cutting the surfaces in the oddest places. Comparing my '08 from the rear to my friends '09 B8 even she agreed that the B7 was "classier" and more of a sculpted look. Thew very complex seaming and curvy lines in the leather upholstery is a turnoff for me as well. At this point I am leaning toward the Q5 if I stay with Audi. I don't need an SUV, but the look of it so surpasses the B8 A4. Pricing on the Q5 is good. Equipped as I would do it it (Premium, heated seats and the mandatory $250 radio - no silly sunroof) it is less than the cheapest B8 A4 with the 3.2 V6.

Quick Reply: instrument cluster plastic