A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

instrument cluster plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn, I wish we could edit our posts with this new format. I meant to say I doubt I would get a B8 (it erroneously said B7 on the third line). I can't type at all and wish we could edit : ((
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sorry for typos - wish we could edit

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have posted before that I think the B8 is pretty crappy looking compared to the B7. This scratchable instruyment lens is one area I strongly agreee is bad. The entire dash is cheap looking. Add to that the loss of a lot of little niceties and I am increasingly convinced I will not replace my '08 A4 with a B7 when the lease is up in a year. Simple things like the trim around the console where the wood or aluminum trim can easily get scratched has a nice textured soft vinyl protective rim with the trim surrounding the shifter recessed where it is "safe" on the B7; with the B8 I believe the wood trim along the console sides will get scratched by passengers especially, since their legs and arms are not involved with driving the car. The exterior is so odd to me with multiple seams and creases cutting the surfaces in the oddest places. Comparing my '08 from the rear to my friends '09 B8 even she agreed that the B7 was "classier" and more of a sculpted look. Thew very complex seaming and curvy lines in the leather upholstery is a turnoff for me as well. At this point I am leaning toward the Q5 if I stay with Audi. I don't need an SUV, but the look of it so surpasses the B8 A4. Pricing on the Q5 is good. Equipped as I would do it it (Premium, heated seats and the mandatory $250 radio - no silly sunroof) it is less than the cheapest B8 A4 with the 3.2 V6.
I meant to say "I am increasingly convinced I will not replace my '08 A4 with a B8 when the lease is up in a year"
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best thing to do is not touch anything. The more you handle surfaces, the faster they will wear and become damaged or dirty. It's also good to wipe things off with a damp rag everytime you clean the car. It only takes a minute and keeps things from building up and getting rubbed in.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So anyone figure out the best solution for cleaning it? Mine is covered in swirls because every time I get a car wash they wipe the interior and that area. Fortunately, the rest of my interior is holding up pretty well so far. Have a few minor chips in the aluminum trim on the doors but nothing major
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It scratches with Swiffer? Holy....

That was going to be my method of cleaning. Swiffer barely puts down any force at all. It picks things up. How can this possibly scratch it. Will it break if I blow on it?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I use a can of compressed air to blow the dust off it.

It works well. I use it on all my switchgear too.

I never wipe the instrument panel plastic because it scratches so easily.

I learned that lesson on my B6.

Being an idiot, I also had to relearn it on my B7.

I refuse to relearn it again on my B8.

For those times when a blast of compressed air won't do the trick, I have some very soft detail brushes that I might try, very, very lightly.

But I haven't found the need to try them yet.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Request "edit priviledges" in the dedicated thread on the Feedback Forum.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob58
It works well. I use it on all my switchgear too.

I never wipe the instrument panel plastic because it scratches so easily.

I learned that lesson on my B6.

Being an idiot, I also had to relearn it on my B7.

I refuse to relearn it again on my B8.

For those times when a blast of compressed air won't do the trick, I have some very soft detail brushes that I might try, very, very lightly.

But I haven't found the need to try them yet.

So i am going to have the dealer replace the plastic-as its within the 30day window. But for the future- will a damp paper towel or cloth work without swirling it? /
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No. I wouldn't wipe it at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sticking with Swiffer.

Quick Reply: instrument cluster plastic