A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

instrument cluster plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swiffer is safer than a any paper towel or cloth but it can still scratch.

For less than the price of a box of 3 Swiffers, you can get a can of compressed air that will last you over a year.

With the Swiffer, it's not the Swiffer itself that scatches. It's the particles that get trapped in the fibers. Even without pressure, they can scratch that uber-soft platsic.

Last edited by Bob58; 06-03-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I better get some soon then. Before the dust is so thick that it won't come off without contact.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toddm1234
So i am going to have the dealer replace the plastic-as its within the 30day window. But for the future- will a damp paper towel or cloth work without swirling it? /
I agree with Bob -- better not to touch it at all. If you need to wipe, DON'T use paper towels. A micro fiber cloth would be best and if a cleaner is necessary, use one designed for use on airplane windscreens (which are made of plexiglass). I'm involved with a group that flies a WW II AT-6 Texan and we don't let paper towels and Windex (or any other ammonia based cleaner) near the canopy.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a couple scratches/chips in my alum trim as well... disappointing :/

Last edited by bunn; 06-03-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess anodized alum trim would be too heavy...?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
I guess anodized alum trim would be too heavy...?
Kind of hard to see the speedo and tach through anodized alum. Unless we are talking different plastic than I think.

If we are talking the somewhat cheap looking plastic surrounding the instrument cluster, I think the answer there is that alum would shrink Audi's profit margin, thus it wasn't used.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going to suggest that there isn't an applicable plastic (polycarbonate probably in this case) that wouldn't scratch. I think the design flaw here isn't the choice of material but that the plastic is angled and curved in such a way as to really catch the light and show up the scratches.

It's been a long time since mainstream cars had glass gauge covers (like my old MG). Maybe you have to buy a Roller or a Maybach to get glass these days.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by toddm1234
Hey, anyone else notice this is plastic, and is a scratch magnet.. I just noticed that there are swirls all over it. Any have any ideas on why this is?/ new a4 avant- only 2 weeks old. thanks and sorry for the ocd..
PolyWatch(crystal Polish) and Plexus(plastic cleaner/polish) are a couple of products I've used with good results.

Despite the corn-ball name, PolyWatch does a good job removing fine surface scratches from different types of plastics. I've used it to remove scratches from both my car and motorcycle instrument cluster lenses. It's marketed as a acrylic watch crystal polish and as such, it's sold in small 5gram tubes for about $8.00. I've only seen it available for sale on the internet, but you could probably see if a local jewelry store stocks it.

I use Plexus plastic cleaner/polish for regular cleaning and protection of headlight lenses and instrument cluster. It leaves a clear polish-able film on the surface. Should only be used on smooth hard plastic surfaces; so don't use it on the satin anti-glare Nav. screen

<a href="http://www.esslinger.com/polywatch5grams.aspx"> PolyWatch </a> - where I purchased mine; can be gotten elsewhere.
<a href="http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html">Plexus</a> - company's website
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Kind of hard to see the speedo and tach through anodized alum. Unless we are talking different plastic than I think.

If we are talking the somewhat cheap looking plastic surrounding the instrument cluster, I think the answer there is that alum would shrink Audi's profit margin, thus it wasn't used.
I meant for the silver bits.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gettysburg
PolyWatch(crystal Polish) and Plexus(plastic cleaner/polish) are a couple of products I've used with good results.

Despite the corn-ball name, PolyWatch does a good job removing fine surface scratches from different types of plastics. I've used it to remove scratches from both my car and motorcycle instrument cluster lenses. It's marketed as a acrylic watch crystal polish and as such, it's sold in small 5gram tubes for about $8.00. I've only seen it available for sale on the internet, but you could probably see if a local jewelry store stocks it.

I use Plexus plastic cleaner/polish for regular cleaning and protection of headlight lenses and instrument cluster. It leaves a clear polish-able film on the surface. Should only be used on smooth hard plastic surfaces; so don't use it on the satin anti-glare Nav. screen

PolyWatch - where I purchased mine; can be gotten elsewhere.
Plexus - company's website

Thanks for the additional suggested products. I still think compressed air can only go so far. Sure it will remove loose dust, but what about dried spots from liquids (rain from having windows down, sneezes, accidental spit while talking, etc.).

Quick Reply: instrument cluster plastic