A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

iPod/iPhone problem with AMI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod/iPhone problem with AMI

I have an ’09 A4 without Nav. (H/W= H02, S/W=0231). About twice a week I find that my iPhone stops responding and needs to be removed from the AMI and re-booted. The same happened with my older iPod. The dealer insists that there is no available software upgrade for my car.

I haven’t found any similar threads with this problem description. The dealer wants to do nothing (suggests I may have a corrupted file…). Until I switched to a iPhone, I thought that maybe my device was the problem. With two devices and many files similarly failing, it can’t be on my end. I am asking that they change the AMI. Their response is that without an error message from the AMI, they can’t authorize a new part.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's '09 A4
I have an ’09 A4 without Nav. (H/W= H02, S/W=0231). About twice a week I find that my iPhone stops responding and needs to be removed from the AMI and re-booted. The same happened with my older iPod. The dealer insists that there is no available software upgrade for my car.

I haven’t found any similar threads with this problem description. The dealer wants to do nothing (suggests I may have a corrupted file…). Until I switched to a iPhone, I thought that maybe my device was the problem. With two devices and many files similarly failing, it can’t be on my end. I am asking that they change the AMI. Their response is that without an error message from the AMI, they can’t authorize a new part.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have an iPhone 3, 3GS or 4? If you have iOS4.x installed on the iPhone, see the recent "ipod MMI issues" thread. There's an update (4.1) coming soon that may solve many Bluetooth issues. Resetting your MMI then erasing/resetting your iPhone's bluetooth connection could also help.

Finally, if it's an AMI problem, be sure the connector is firmly seated in the device. You could try and ask the dealer to let you try another cable to see if that's what's causing the issues. Frankly, I doubt a failing cable would throw a code. It would be like disconnecting the device from the AMI cable if there was a bad wire. How would the car know the difference? If the dealer refuses to let you try another AMI cable without buying it, that would be pretty poor service. I'd call AOA on that one.

Last, but not least, you could back up your iPhone, erase all, restore and re-enter your settings to see if that was the issue. That would erase any doubt you had a "corrupted file".

BTW, I'm using a 30GB 5G iPod with AMI cable and iPhone 3Gs on Bluetooth w/iOS4.02 with zero problems on my '09 A4 w/Nav.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-24-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default same problem

I also drive an Audi 09 A4 without navigation and have had the same annoying issue. I am forced to disconnect the ipod after about 3/4 uses and restart it in order for the audi system to recognize it. I also went to an audi dealership and he told me theres nothing we can do at the dealer. They are aware of the issue and they are "working on it" with apple. It has been over 6 months and they are still "working". Very dissapointing as this is my first Audi I have purchased....

Any one else experienced this problem or have possible solutions?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am using a classic 120 gb Ipod 6G to connect to the Audi interface
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a first gen 3G running latest IOS (hand-me-down from Wife - she gets the very latest...). I did read that thread. However, I have the same problem an iPOD; so I don't think it's an IOS issue.