A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

IPOD Jack in Glove box

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I use only uncompressed audio files and they use a lot more space than do MP3s.
This is what I was thinking of doing also.

According to the A5oc web site, some people claimed to have connected 500Gb drives, but it seems that the limitation is 4000 songs. This would take about 200Gb in wave. Drives smaller than 320Gb are hard to find these days !

Something else that is interesting is that the Ipod AMI cable is supposed to take the analog output of the Ipod, when you connect a hard drive, you get the digital output and use the dac of the radio which some claims to be of better quality.

I do not have the "real MMI" in my car, I have the radio "pseudo MMI" so I wonder if the limitation of the number of files that can be accessed is the same...

Hopefully the cable I ordered from e-bay will not take a month before showing up !
Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
This is what I was thinking of doing also.
I plan to not upload anything to the JukeBox because I use the empty JukeBox as a way to avoid having the radio blast me every time we turn on the MMI. The main music goes on the 80G drives and new stuff gets a trial on the SD cards.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I need some help Kal !

I just received my AMI USB cable from China today and bought a 320Gb pocket drive from Buffalo. I formated the drive in FAT 32 and copied several directories with different audio formats to see which ones would work: AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC. None of them would work from the drive. The AMI said: unsupported device !

I copied only the WAV and the WMA directory on a Kingston USB stick and the AMI saw only the WMA files, but did not read any Metadata. The same files on the SD card were displaying all of the metadata info of the files: Artist, song, album and the info menu was also showing the genre, year and commentary !

You say you use uncompressed audio file, what format are you using ? Does it read the metadata of the file ? What brand of hard disk are you using ?

I do not have MMI, just the radio MMI style menus, maybe you have the full MMI and this is why yours is working ?

It seems I could probably use WMA, MP3 or AAC. I have to do more tests to see if the metadata in any of those is supported.

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
I need some help Kal !

I just received my AMI USB cable from China today and bought a 320Gb pocket drive from Buffalo. I formated the drive in FAT 32 and copied several directories with different audio formats to see which ones would work: AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC. None of them would work from the drive. The AMI said: unsupported device !
I have not used that big a drive. Only 60-80Gb.

You say you use uncompressed audio file, what format are you using ? Does it read the metadata of the file ? What brand of hard disk are you using ?
WMA and no metadata. It may be necessary to upload to the jukebox but I have not done that.

Kal
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have not used that big a drive. Only 60-80Gb.

Kal
I had a 40Gb pocket drive, but it crashed when started to load files on it :-(

I just tried different file formats and MP3 supports the Metadata, so MP3 320 Kbs it will be !

I have to try another brand of hard disk or a solid state disk or a large USB stick.

Thanks,

Pierre