A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Jack Points and Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jack Points and Pads

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Thanks for the pics and info, guys. Due to the fact I have a hoist, and multiple floor jacks, I decided to buy a set of four Protech side lift jack pads. Since the only real approved lift points are the reinforced areas behind the crimps...
Would it be possible B8aruba, the next time you have your car up on the lift, to take a couple of pics showing exactly where (how far behind the crimp points) the Protech lift pads should be placed? Now, did you buy the lift pads strictly for your jacks or can you use them on your lift as well? If not intended for use with your lift, where are your lift arms placed when raising the car?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Would it be possible B8aruba, the next time you have your car up on the lift, to take a couple of pics showing exactly where (how far behind the crimp points) the Protech lift pads should be placed? Now, did you buy the lift pads strictly for your jacks or can you use them on your lift as well? If not intended for use with your lift, where are your lift arms placed when raising the car?
Yeah, no problem. Should be putting her up on the hoist in a few wks for an inspection, I'll snap some pics then. Protech has two pad sizes, something like 3.5" dia and a larger one. I have an assymetrical Rotary Lift, with the low-profile telescoping arms front and rear. These arms come with really nice screw-up rubber adapter pads, but they're flat and about 4" in dia. I plan to use the 3.5" Protech pads (which have slits to fit over the crimp welds) as adapters on top of the factory hoist adapters. They should just sit on top of the screw-up adapters, and engage the car at the factory jack pts (as detailed in the manual). From what I can tell, those are about the only places with reinforcement under the car, that one can access quickly and easily. The other jack pts mentioned here obviously work, but I'm not one to hoist on suspension and other mounts.

I typically use hockey pucks as spacers, which also give a nice rubber cushion to protect the underbody. But, they only work if you have a good flat jack pt.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Jack Points and Pads?

Yeah, no problem. Should be putting her up on the hoist in a few wks for an inspection, I'll snap some pics then.
Great! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just received the jack pads last night. Haven't had a chance to lift the car yet, but they fit on the hoist adapter pads nicely. Here's a quick pic showing the stock flat Rotary screw-up pad in the rear, and the ProTech 1007 pad added on top in the front. Nice feature is that the ProTech pads can also be used with a standard cup size on a floor jack, for single corner lifting.
Attached Images  

Last edited by B8aruba; 05-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Jack Points and Pads?

Nice feature is that the ProTech pads can also be used with a standard cup size on a floor jack, for single corner lifting.
Nice . I'm surprised on how high the pad is. Looks like about 2 1/2 to 3". I wonder how much it will compress, if anything. Look forward to your next pics.

Off today for a family gathering to watch the Montreal Canadiens do battle once again with the Philadelphia Flyers at 3PM ET. Flyers leading the series 2-1 going into game 4.

GO HABS GO
Old 05-22-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Nice . I'm surprised on how high the pad is. Looks like about 2 1/2 to 3". I wonder how much it will compress, if anything. Look forward to your next pics.

Off today for a family gathering to watch the Montreal Canadiens do battle once again with the Philadelphia Flyers at 3PM ET. Flyers leading the series 2-1 going into game 4.

GO HABS GO
I did put one on the floor jack and compress it up underneath the passenger front crimp weld. Fits with plenty of room as to not touch the crimp. Only compressed about 1/4" or thereabouts. If that's a concern for anyone, a hockey puck fits perfectly within a recessed area underneath the pad, which should stiffen up compression even more.

Funny, the wife and I just spent most of the day planning our trip to Montreal for the F1 race. We really enjoy jumping the border, and can't wait to see that historic city. Looks to have tons of outstanding architecture, and some great food to boot! Have fun at the game...
Old 05-22-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Montreal F1

Funny, the wife and I just spent most of the day planning our trip to Montreal for the F1 race. We really enjoy jumping the border, and can't wait to see that historic city. Looks to have tons of outstanding architecture, and some great food to boot! Have fun at the game...
FYI, sent you a PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Jack pads

I use a Michelin floor jack for changing wheels etc. With my 997 it is simple -- you use the rear jack point and lift the whole side of the car.

To use it with the A4 what I created a jack pad with a centre groove for the rail to drop into using hockey pucks.

I bought 3 - 4 pucks to mess around with, but essentially what I've done is to take 2 pucks and screw them together using drywall screws. Then I took my circular saw and cut a wide groove (about 1/2 inch) down the centre of the top puck. That created the groove section that the rail in the jacking point needs to sit in. Works like a charm, and took me about 30 minutes and $10 to do.

Lorne
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

those VAG lift pucks that went in the frame rails were incredible. i had them on my B5 S4. still had to drive it onto some 2x8 to get my low profile jack under them. but i was lowered a bit.

i take it there is no place for them on the new cars? lame.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oo.et.oO
those VAG lift pucks that went in the frame rails were incredible. i had them on my B5 S4. still had to drive it onto some 2x8 to get my low profile jack under them. but i was lowered a bit.

i take it there is no place for them on the new cars? lame.
Nope, no holes to push them into (assuming you're referring to the TT mini pucks that we all put on our old B5's back in the day). Yeah, those were ****. Not near as easy and convenient with the new B8's.