A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Jack stands on B8: where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack stands on B8: where?

I need to jack my car and put it on jack stands. The jacking part is easy but the stand parts is what I'm having trouble with the "stands part". I bought the service manual for the B8 A4 (ebahn) thinking that it would help more than a previous post I did on this forum and it looked easy based on the pictures they provide:

I should in theory be able to put the floor jack / jack stands anywhere in the big circle.. I jacked the rear right corner of the car using the audi jack (more room to put the jack stands) but all I can see is plastic in the area where I should put the jack stands:

The front isn't any better:

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to remove the plastic protector (or whatever it's called) before being able to use jack stands? Or is there another location I should use? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I use a floor jack in those same exact spots as you used the OEM jack to lift the car. I imagine you MIGHT be able to jack from as far to one side of the exposed metal area as you can and still fit the jack stand, but it would definitely be a tight squeeze. Perhaps you should ask someone in your dealer's service department about other acceptable jack points? I've heard people recommend jacking the whole rear end of the car using the rear differential, but never tried it.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I see the tradition of difficult to lift cars continues with VW/Audi. For some strange reason, none of the VWAG cars I own have nice big exposed frame rails to rest a jack stand on. I usually resort to placing the jack stands under the sub frame. Its usually pretty safe and solid. I wouldn't use the rear differential, its an expensive part and its mounts aren't designed to carry the weight of the back of the car.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I usually resort to placing the jack stands under the sub frame. Its usually pretty safe and solid. I wouldn't use the rear differential, its an expensive part and its mounts aren't designed to carry the weight of the back of the car.
Definitely not on the differential!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is what I did

I fully understand your pain on finding a way to safely place a B8 on jack stands. The attached photo tells it all. I build a device from wood that would allow me a little more room for two floor jacks and once the car was elevated I place solid wood block under it. When both sides of the car were on solid wood blocking I removed the sheel and began the procedure to paint the brake calipers. Hopefully this will give you some ideas.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG, Roy... that looks incredibly scary to me!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

DO NOT under any circumstance jack vehicles or support them with wood! It's extremely dangerous. Dangerous to the point where it can kill you.

Jack anywhere on the AFrame (where suspension meets frame of the car. Jack on the car side... not the suspension side. Any common side rails are good. (like you did) Usually cars will have jack points on the front and back so you can jack the whole front\back end in one shot.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the exhaust pipe, but only if dual exhaust.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by L0U
the exhaust pipe, but only if dual exhaust.
I wouldn't do that either...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spacecadet_CC
Definitely not on the differential!
See, on a subaru impreza, that's the way to go. Jack under the rear diff and bingo, the complete rear is jacked.

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I usually resort to placing the jack stands under the sub frame. Its usually pretty safe and solid.
Where is that exactly? The "usually pretty safe and solid" worries me though.. I'd rather have it ALWAYS safe and solid!

Originally Posted by MrStuff
DO NOT under any circumstance jack vehicles or support them with wood! It's extremely dangerous. Dangerous to the point where it can kill you.
Indeed.. there's no way I'd put wood under it. I'd be afraid of having the wood split!

Originally Posted by MrStuff
Jack anywhere on the AFrame (where suspension meets frame of the car. Jack on the car side... not the suspension side. Any common side rails are good. (like you did) Usually cars will have jack points on the front and back so you can jack the whole front\back end in one shot.
I'm not too familiar with the car terminology but I'm pretty sure that what you're mentioning is covered by plastic. There really isn't much left exposed under that car!

Has any one used the jack stands on the pinch welds? On a related note, I really need to find a pinch weld adaptor for my jack (in canada!)

Quick Reply: Jack stands on B8: where?