A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is just the APR ECU upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

^ Just in the interest of completeness, the StaSIS tune still accommodates the ECU retarding the ignition if a lower octane is utilized. I specifically asked StaSIS, although I don't intend to use a lower octane.

Concur tho' that the Audi factory [de-] tune is largely for litigation risk averse purposes.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDAnimalzz
Two questions:

1) If I just want to get the ECU upgrade from APR and nothing else, is it worth it?
Definitely yes. You will enjoy your car much more. There are many of us who go no further than a stage 1 tune. My 2010 TT improved its 0-60 time from Audi's figure of 5.9sec, to 4.8sec when using the 93-octane program.

2) Long term, is the ECU upgrade safe? Again, assuming I upgrade nothing else on the car.
Reputable tuners such as Stasis, APR and others, are quite aware of the car's design limits, and keep the tuning they offer well within them. As long as you're using fuel appropriate to the selected ECU map, you need not worry.
Will the extra power have any negative effects?
It all depends on how much you use it. Of course, increased power causes increased wear of the entire drivetrain. However, if most of your driving doesn't use torque levels above the capability of the stock engine, the effects should be minor. It's certainly true that a driver of a tuned car who respects his equipment, can achieve better service life than a driver of a stock car who routinely thrashes it.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
^But hey, then you will have a testpipe!
How'd you know that my cat has a red tag on it that says "REINSTALL BEFORE SMOG TEST"

Originally Posted by AudiAnnie
It's certainly true that a driver of a tuned car who respects his equipment, can achieve better service life than a driver of a stock car who routinely thrashes it.
I think AudiAnnie is saying... don't be like QUA77RO!
I respect AND thrash it. Unless of course, you don't mind upgrading parts like I do. I like finding weaknesses. It helps me engineer better parts.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody think the transmission or other associated driveline components would experience accelerated wear (from the additional torque)?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
^ Just in the interest of completeness, the StaSIS tune still accommodates the ECU retarding the ignition if a lower octane is utilized. I specifically asked StaSIS, although I don't intend to use a lower octane.

That is great info to know! Thank you.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Does anybody think the transmission or other associated driveline components would experience accelerated wear (from the additional torque)?
Torque is what breaks things, which is why I prefer not to launch my car. I avoided it even when I was stock.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will the ecu tune void warranty?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

if they can prove that what cause the failure .
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
i would think that if you drive it like you stole everyday you will, but if they can put a ko4 turbo on the engine and make an s3 at least the engine is ok ;-) i would like to find out about the clutch.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't know too much info about the clutch. All findings point to the torque converter in the tiptronics to be more than capable of handling ECU tunes. One weakpoint seems to be the intake manifold, but this is largely unrelated to ECU tunes since it has been problematic even in stock configurations.

Quick Reply: Is just the APR ECU upgrade worth it?