A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is just the APR ECU upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdong
I've got a STaSIS tune, but the effects should be pretty similar to the APR one...

(1) Whether or not it's worth it depends on what you find lacking in the 2.0T. For me, it was the dead zone below 2000RPM (whether it's turbo lag or throttle lag, I don't know)... The car had strong pull in all other engine speed ranges but right off the line, it sucked. The tune fixed that and then some. However, if your concern is highway passing speed, don't get too excited... the stock turbo still gives out at higher RPMs. I could not notice any difference in high-RPM performance compared to before the tune.

(2) Safety wise, it's hard to know. APR and proponents of tunes will give you reasons why it's safe, ranging from "Nobody's reported anything bad happening" to "These parameters were used in car X with the same engine/transmission/whatever as yours". Personally, I don't buy it... Increasing the power/torque output, then using it aggressively, will likely lead to a higher chance of trouble in the future. How much, I have no idea. Certainly the 10 or 20 people talking about it on the forums don't make for a big enough sample size to say anything meaningful. It still didn't stop me from getting my tune, though. The rewards of making the car more fun to drive outweighed the potential risk of something going wrong in the future.
I'm strongly considering getting the Stasis tune and would just like to poll the group to determine if minimal improvement in passing power at highway speeds is the consensus. Since I spend the majority of my commute on the highway,I was hoping the 50+ horsepower would improve performance in the 60 - 90 MPH range. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I notice StaSIS tune improvement throughout the powerband, to include 'upper' highway speeds. The biggest improvement for me tho' is lower speed passing and "off the line", not that I drag race but it moves out a lot more smartly, especially in sport mode. So, for me the add'l 50 lb-ft is more significant.

"Torque does the work, but horsepower gets the credit."

Originally Posted by Audi A4823
I'm strongly considering getting the Stasis tune and would just like to poll the group to determine if minimal improvement in passing power at highway speeds is the consensus. Since I spend the majority of my commute on the highway,I was hoping the 50+ horsepower would improve performance in the 60 - 90 MPH range. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a golf 1.4 litre is it worth getting apr stage 1?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

APR has a hp/torque map for every engine they chip. Take a look and decide for yourself. My guess is that a small engine will notice the power difference more. Look at how much the torque is improved. That's what makes the car feel fast.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2018 S5 3.0T and did the APR ECU Stage 1 after 22,000 miles for two reasons:

1. Increased HP and torque
2. That engine engine start/stop crap Audi put on their cars
3. Speed limiting

The upgrade was great for about 7-8k miles - I absolutely LOVED the power and torque and the engine start/stop crap GONE along with the speed limiting.

Just before 31,000 miles my car suddenly overheats. BADLY, VERY BADLY, and for no visible reason. However based on the symptoms I was sure the water pump was blown and no fluid was circulating. I managed to limp to Audi by start/stop/waiting anc driving 1 mile at a time.

They replaced the water pump, thermo, flushed the system and it was still overheating like crazy. The final part they replaced was a pressure valve on the coolant system that releases all pressure from the closed system which was like a 5-10 dollar part. They also flashed the ECU back to stock and VOIDED MY EXTENDED WARRANTEE.

The point is I am rather convinced the APR Stage 1 on my ECU caused the overheating due to the increased heat it obviously creates in the engine system that must be dissipated. Why would that be? Because the extra power and torque come from making the engine burn rich (NOT from changing shift points, everyone...), which is why the engine creates much more heat.

Besides the fact I would have to pay APR again to upgrade my ECU, the likelihood is very high it will just cause a heat problem all over again (and other additional problems from the rich mixture). I hate that engine start/stop crap SOOOO bad it's tempting to do the upgrade again for that reason alone.

Ultimately it's the heat problem the APR ECU Upgrade created that I can't afford to have happen again or blow the engine Voiding the warrantee screwed me badly too. Remember you have flash the ECU back to stock again if you ever sell the car too.

Bottom line is I chose the best, APR, to do the tuning and it cost me dearly. You want more horsepower??? Then buy a faster car with a higher performance engine. Don't make the mistake I did!
Old 04-15-2023, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iflywoe
if they can prove that what cause the failure .
They don't have to prove anything, if your car is tuned ,power train warranty automatically void.
The following users liked this post:
radmanboca (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Void Warrantee

Originally Posted by 2012A4
Will the ecu tune void warranty?
Yes, guaranteed the moment they find you tuned it. Happened to me... they WANT to cut the warrantee off ASAP and it makes sense why. I never launch but I have an S5 quattro. Even though I believe the tune may have caused an overheat problem, it really didn't. It was a crappy 10$ (now probably 20$) cooling system pressure valve that is known to be a problem in my 2018 model (same as with the A8's), and regardless the turbo lag is infinitely better and the power is almost 100 hp more with 100 ft lbs which makes my girl a different ride entirely.

So would I do it again? Hell yeah. Screw the warrantee, I loved the APR tune - removed the limiter, AND got rid of that nasty start stop crap they put on my model. APR also has a way of connecting so you can tune it and just before you take it into the dealership, reset it back so they would never know (unless they look very deep and see it was tuned, but they won't do that if the ECU looks unmodified). So I'd spend the extra bucks and get the flash module. OH... one more thing.... APR now has a warrantee that covers your powertrain even if you get cut off by Audi!!! It costs more but if you are gonna tune, buy the extra warrantee and you're golden - you can tune it at 1 mile on the odometer!

Tune away!!!
Old 04-16-2023, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No. Save your money and get a S5 or RS5 and you'll be infinitely happier. Boosting a 1.4 seems pointless to me - I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying you won't get very much out of it....