A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Just had a car accident - had to have 2009 A4 flatbedded to dealer :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just had a car accident - had to have 2009 A4 flatbedded to dealer :(

I picked up my B8 on September 5th so it's been about 4 months and today it happened - car accident. Got rearended as I drove over a patch of ice concealed by snow I maintained control but the car behind me was a Lincoln Towncar and lost control on the ice slamming into my rear at probably >20mph

A4 did all the right things, seatbelts tightened up, Hazard lights came on, ignition shut off, etc. No airbags thankfully

Got out to look at damage, rear tail light assembly was busted (glass at least) and perhaps some light. Entire rear bumper was popped out a little with little hole where the backup sensors used to be. Some damage to the box type thing under the bumper but apart from that it seemed fine.

Tried to start the car but no joy and keep getting Handbrake Malfunction. Called dealer, was told the electronic ebrake mechanism runs to a component in the back of the car so when I got rear ended it must have screwed that up. I'm also assuming the engine wouldn't start because it had been an accident and it was probably in some emergency shut off mode.

Couldn't figure it out in the chaos so had to pay $$ to flatbed it to my dealer. Sucks on so many levels but luckily nobody was injured. I'm just shaken up.

Hoping damage is not horrible and can be fixed also that it didn't damage other systems/areas that won't be noticed until much later.

In the end though, the A4 is a tank...the Lincoln Towncar front was crumpled like an accordion.

Let's see how long it takes to get it back.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Towncar's insurance should pay for everything....

...including the towing and your rental car....
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The Towncar's insurance should pay for everything....

Totally agree. In case it's not obvious, of course report the incident to your insurance company (so they're aware of it). Get estimate(s) and make any claims directly to the other guy's insurance company. I was recently hit from behind in a multi-vehicle accident caused by a towncar (livery) and their insurance paid out the same day I sent the estimate.

Hope you and the other guy escaped without injury. The B8 is a sweet car, but it's still just a hunk of metal.

Best,
Jason
Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Make sure that you are ok.

Schedule an appointment with a physical therapist with strong manual therapy skills to ensure that you are ok. I know that you think that everything works as should, but a joint dysfunction will not necessarily be painful now but can create issues down road. If you have nothing to treat then you'll just go through an exam but get a once over. Just looking out for you.

Dr.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very sorry to read this. Glad you're ok.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Make sure that you are ok.

Jack...that is good advice.

Are you a PT with MT skills....
if so, we are bretheren on more than just Audis
Dr.<ul><li><a href="http://aaompt.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&amp;subarticlenbr=75">http://aaompt.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&amp;subarticlenbr=75</a</li></ul>
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks folks. Quick question about the aftermath?

Any ideas why the engine wouldn't start even if the ebrake was malfunctioning? I don't understand why they would be tied together. However, no matter what I tried, pressing brake pedal down and pushing the key in didn't do much.

I know the Audi has a fuel cutoff for accidents. If that's what happened, how would you reset that? Let's assume the ebrake was ok, but the fuel cutoff was triggered, I couldn't find anything in the manual how to reset it.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Roadside offers you free fladbed towing to your dealer.

The same thing happened to me once long back, and i called roadside ... they sent a tow truck. Sucks to hear about your car, but glad you're ok.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah I figured but the cops had already called a towing company...

and the accident happened on a 2-lane highway so they had to clear the accident asap. Luckily my insurance company has offered to reimburse the towing charge if I fax them a receipt - so we'll see.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your car is leased so you don't take the hit on depreciation.

Quick Reply: Just had a car accident - had to have 2009 A4 flatbedded to dealer :(